Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

No jump button??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Egg Mania: Eggstreme Madness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yolk

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: No jump button?? Reply with quote

Is there really no way to assign a button to jumping in the Xbox version?
View users profile Send private message
Kemco_Tom

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yolk,

No, you cannot map the jump feature to a button - you must use the d pad or left thumbstick for jumping. I couldn't tell you why the developers only allow certain features to be remapped, and not all of them.

TK
Yolk

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2002 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats exactly why closed beta testing is a horrible idea.

It's an obvious mistake that none of the "inner" testers complained about seriously.

It's the only thing ruining the game.
Lobo

PostPosted: Nov Fri 29, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think the controls work fine, I don't think that not being able to asign a button to jump ruins the game but at the end of the day that just my personal preference.
Regardless I don't think it's fair to put the blame on the testers it's our job to find the bugs and point out gameplay issues not to fix them.
Yolk

PostPosted: Nov Fri 29, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree.

The play testers should have made it VERY clear that the jump button must be mapable like the others.

It just smells like a horrible port mistake from the gameboy version.

I think it's terrible not to be able to actually have a jump button like people have been used to since the NES.

Why would they have all those "custom" control options and leave out the jump?

Because someone wasn't paying attention.

It's an obvious mistake.

And if they had some fans testing instead of payed play mules icon_eek.gif , maybe the game would be easier for people to pick up, and would sell more.

If you make a weird, unchangable controller setup MANY people won't give this game the time of day. Which is what I think is happening with this game.

This is the first game I think is better than Tetris, yet almost no one knows about it.

If you think it's not a big deal and was a tester then I don't think you're a good representative of gamers.

I don't mean to sound so *#%, but this is a great game, and even I can't get people into it because the jump is key to the whole game and it's poorly mapped.

Last edited by Yolk on Nov Fri 29, 2002 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total
Yolk

PostPosted: Nov Fri 29, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This board has wacky censorship.

Instead of a--s--s--i--g--n--e--d which gives assigned, we must use mapped.
Lobo

PostPosted: Nov Fri 29, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'd have thought that there was anything wrong with the controls I would have mentioned it but at the end of the day it's down to the producer whether or not to change something like that.

Also the game was taken to a number of trade shows (ECTS and Games Convention) I didn't go to ECTS but have been told it was very popular, I went to Games Convention in Germany and the GBAs and PS2s displaying Egg Mania were in constant use all day. At either shows we had no complaints about the controls.

As for the a-s-s-i-g-n censorship, yes that is weird, that's why I spelt it with one S icon_smile.gif
Yolk

PostPosted: Nov Fri 29, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they just ported the GBA version over and no one cared enough to make the jump button part of the many customise options icon_cry.gif

The only flaw of the game besides a lack of internet play.

Otherwise a perfect game icon_biggrin.gif
YAYitsAndrew

PostPosted: Jan Mon 20, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally find using up on the control stick to be very natural for jumping. since once you have initially jumped the control stick is what is used to determine your drop speed (either fall quickly or hover down slowly) it would be silly to have to press a button to jump in addition to holding the control stick in the desired direction.

the only time another button for jumping would be handy were to do small jumps. but when you throw down a piece, holding down the whole time will allow minimal bouncing, not even 2 rows higher. the same goes for slightly tapping the control stick up then holding down.

the up direction has also been used for jumping since the NES in fighting games, so you argument on familiarity is not valid.

in the very end, the best controls are the one that give you optimal speed and reaction time. my left hand has full control over where my character goes, and my right hand has full control over all the actions my character can do. if i were to make a button on the right side let my player jump, i now have a conflict.

in platform games jumping can be considered an action because when you are jumping you are often not doing anything else, but i do not feel this way about egg mania. since while jumping you can do the same things you can do while on the ground, having a button used for jumping would cause you to need to press almost twice the amount of buttons as someone who jumps with the up direction, because it would now be a two button press to jump and quickly discard a crate, or return a bomb. in this case the up direction can not be considered a button, because after jumping with a button you STILL need to use up and down to control your rate of descent.

i think you're giving yourself extra work by playing with a button mapped to jumping, and if you get used to using up, you will play a much smoother and error free game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Egg Mania: Eggstreme Madness All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: