Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

This isn't fun anymore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrinceZordar

PostPosted: Nov Wed 05, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: This isn't fun anymore Reply with quote

If I have to spend 5 or 6 tries to figure out a puzzle, then I consider that challenging. If, however, I figure out HOW to do a puzzle, and then it takes 50-100 tries just to get by it because the game refuses to accept controller input, that's frustrating. I have been trying to get past the STUPID combination lock in Malygar Club for a day and a half now, and I am still no further. If I do it slow enough that I make sure to enter them correctly, I run out of time. If I do it quickly, and am the tiniest bit off, the game won't accept the stick input and I have to run away and start over again. I have made it past there precisely TWICE, and both times I got killed in the gas room and had to go ALL THEY WAY BACK TO THE COMBINATION!!

Sorry, but this is no longer enjoyment, this is stupidity. Stealth and guile I can handle, but not being able to progress because the game won't accept the input if you're a millimeter off is just dumb. One of the devs even admitted that the combinations are a problem on the Xbox. Maybe that should have told you something?

-Z
View users profile Send private message
joeops

PostPosted: Nov Wed 05, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you need some practice with that controller icon_smile.gif When you get past the combination lock and you go into the gas room you need to move the 2 metal crates over the vents, then when the gas comes you need to navigate the electonic camera fly through the hole in the corner in the room in the bottom. Try reading the manual a little more and get more in dept about the systems. Also KEMCO has a great site that has awsome detail about each weapon. I am on mission 8 in asain mode and had some hard times but I got through it. I now my PS2 controller in and out! Try playing on asain mode and try entering the combination and just watch how fast the time goes to input the code then! Hope this helps for the gas room. Joe
Kemco_Tester_Rob

PostPosted: Nov Wed 05, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Frustration Reply with quote

I feel your frustration PrinceZordar, hopefully this might help: If you can start Magyar 1 over from the beginning what you can do is deactivate the heat sensor area, use the fly cam to unlock the painting, and then do the puzzle. After you finally get it, instead of going in the ammo room with the gas, go pick up the gun (or the dvd, or the handwriting sample) because those checkpoints are probably easy for you to get to. Then it will save the fact that you opened the puzzle trap and you can continue with less frustration. It also helps to make sure you never get a red alert because if you do the guards will be a problem. Hope that helps.

Robert.

Ski Steven's Pass.
University of Pennsylvania c/o 2003
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
perry

PostPosted: Nov Wed 05, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: This isn't fun anymore Reply with quote

zodar-in my case it was pure luck but i believe possible-when i ran to the left of the cam before getting ready to do the combo safe the camera saw me and the turret gun fired but also took out the camera!! so i had all the time in the world-maybe if you get spotted on purpose the turret will hit the camera and maybe you for just a sec! give that a try but dont give up-it took me like 5 hours
FR

PostPosted: Nov Wed 05, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately for me, playing in A55A55IN difficulty mode, having the camera disabled is not enough to stop the turret from firing (maybe it's like that on the other two difficulty levels). It helps, but after you start doing the combination, you have pretty much just enough time to do all 10 analog stick movements otherwise the gun turret opens up on you. But if you're fast enough, you can run into the room to the left to avoid the gun turret and then wait until the alert status bar goes back to normal before trying again.
View users profile Send private message Send email
PrinceZordar

PostPosted: Nov Wed 05, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happened to get lucky that most of the guards roaming around went into the library while I was hiding in a box, and then they just stayed in there. I took out the camera, then went and hit the combination. Screwed it up, ran into the heat sensor room until the alarms stopped, lather, rinse, repeat. Once I finally got into the gas room, I looked all over the place for the spot to send in the flycam, but couldn't find it. So I thought, maybe it doesn't appear until the gas starts. Still couldn't find it. Two minutes and I was dead. :p

Starting the entire level over again? Augh... it took me several tries just to get this far without being flooded with an infinite number of guards. I am not looking forward to it. Either way, the combination is the hardest part, so no matter what order I do the tasks, I'm still going to have to open up the wall panel, fight with the controller, and then hope I get through the gas room and THEN hopefully get a checkpoint.

And for the guy who is assuming I am a n00b at playing Xbox games... well, you know what assume stands for. I've played numerous games on this thing over the course of a year, and this is the first game that has totally frustrated me because of an exact stick precision requirement.

-Z
perry

PostPosted: Nov Wed 05, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: This isn't fun anymore Reply with quote

i feel your pain-pull the blocks over the vents before you grap the ammo-after the cut scene use the fly cam which is to the right and down behind a box-hard as ^@#$! to find-
PrinceZordar

PostPosted: Nov Sat 08, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, how DO you start a level over? Selecting Restart takes you back to the previous checkpoint.

I FINALLY made it through though. Got through the bank with no trouble, now I'm on Mission 7.

Tomorrow.

When I can see straight icon_cool.gif

-Z
FR

PostPosted: Nov Sat 08, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can start a level again from the beginning using the MISSION tab located on the menu after you select your player's profile.
View users profile Send private message Send email
girly girl

PostPosted: Nov Tue 11, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'OH ...now I am stuck there too. I did get in ( got a real easy combo ONCE ) but got gassed and there is no nearby save game....D'oh
girley girl

PostPosted: Nov Sun 16, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have redone that mission a few times now and have gotten better. I hope the next game with Nikki has a better way for x-boxers to do combo locks.
vreceveur

PostPosted: Jan Sun 18, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: combo lock and gas room Reply with quote

I was ready to break my game disk over that combo lock deal. That truely sucks but after two days and over 200 times I got on line and read for over an hour. I read this one that said to start at the shaded area of the arrow then work it around to the end of the arrow. I tried that several times then all of the sudden I got it. I can get every one now and it seems easy to me now. If you push the joy stick hard to the side where the shaded part is and guide it around the outside of the joy stick hole and let off at the end of the arrow it goes through. It did for me. I was trying to do little circles without hitting the wall of my joy stick hole. That was my problem. Any way just wanted to note that in hopes it will help someone. I had no problem in the gas chamber as for in reading for help with the lock I read to cover the vents and where the cam hole was. My hardest thing with the spycam is getting it started down the tunnel. I just move slow then when the lazers are almost to the sides I rush through. I got lucky on the one tunnel and made the correct turn. After that there is a save and I saved and quit for awhile. I'm sure when I go back to finish I'll be back on here for help on another part. One more thing I found that helps is to not try to kill the guards but avoid them. Once they sound the alarm its almost impossible to get through it. With the guards with the green shade after a few min. they stay on a certain pattern that you get used to. Also when your at the lock as soon as you hear the timer going fast your almost out of time get ready to run to the room next door to your left and wait till the orange is all gone from your box to go back and try again you won't get hit.
JP

PostPosted: Jun Sat 12, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi friends,

PrinceZordar is right in my opinion. The lock inputs are really a bit too hard to perform and I needed at least 30 trys at that spot myself when I was playing in Amateur mode. Now I'm playing in Agent mode and I was surprised to get past the lock in the museum, but the lock in the club is still waiting for me.

More time to move the stick with precision would be of great help. And it wouldn't be far off from reality as well, because cracking safes is more a matter of precision, delicacy and sensibility than a matter of time. Doing the inputs right is hard enough and the game would only gain more credibility if you have all time in the world to crack the safes.

To Kemco and Bits: Never underestimate the unrelyability of a controller! Especially the one for the xbox has real bad ergonomics, resulting in wrong translations of inputs. If you don't believe me, you can make a test:
Take a game like "Dead or Alive 3" or "Tao Feng - Fist of the Lotus" and go to training mode. In this mode your inputs are displayed on the screen. Now push left. Often enough you'll find that the game translates your input into left/up or left/down. This counts for other directions as well, of course.

Well, I guess there could be some cracks out there who learned through years of training to get every input right. But playing games should be a freetime amusement, not a profession. If games are designed in a way that they can only be played and completed by artists and not by average players, they can only be a product of interest for a minority and not for a mass market. (But please don't take this remark as a special comment on Rogue Ops. It's more a remark on the general tendency of the game industry to make every new game - especially sequels - harder than previous games.)

With kind greetings from Germany - Your JP
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Rogue Ops All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum