Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Game development time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taragem

PostPosted: Oct Sat 09, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Game development time Reply with quote

I know you guys aren't publishing it -- but I have a question about game development time. I was checking out a preview for Dark Matter - The Baryon Project; expected release 2007. Does it really take that long to create a game? Also, by 2007 wouldn't the technology be further ahead than Dark Matter? Inquiring minds want to know. icon_eek.gif

http://www.pixelcage.de/e_games.html

Thanks,
Tara
--
My Yager page
http://users4.ev1.net/~taragem/yager.htm
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Adoug

PostPosted: Oct Sun 10, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fable was in development for four years, before its release I believe. Depending on the size, BUDGET, and ambition of a project, yes they can alot of time. It really just depends. Also, using Fable as an example, or even Yager for that matter, we can see that with skilled individuals, the amount of time it takes to make a game wont necassarily make the game graphically inferior to those games made later in the life cycle of a console. I hope this helps. icon_twisted.gif
Enforcer #41

PostPosted: Oct Wed 20, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When developers are making a game, and the time that goes by when making it, new technology keeps coming around each year. Do they take advantage of it when it comes around, or do they stick with what they started to begin with?
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Adoug

PostPosted: Oct Thu 21, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, they continue to use what they started with. For instance, if a game is based on Renderware, you wouldnt change it to use some other tech half way through if it was better, because it would be a major change to the code. But that is just with my experience. Thanks for the question. icon_twisted.gif
Coarse Limely

PostPosted: Oct Thu 21, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there's games like Capcom's Dead Phoenix. *Sob!* "Summer 2003," my arse!
View users profile Send private message

PostPosted: Oct Fri 22, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it amazing how they put there technology to really good use, and in the end it all comes out as a masterpiece.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Kemco General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum