Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How hard was this game to localise?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyrannical

PostPosted: Mar Sun 06, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: How hard was this game to localise? Reply with quote

I don't see how Dai Senryaku VII could be that tough to localize. There isn't a whole hell of a lot of text outside the mission intro and training mode. I bet that text is probably read right from a text file.

Hell, I could have said screw translating and "made up" mission briefing text while drunk. NO ONE is going to win a litterary prize for those mission briefings. They were so lame I'd really have rather had "REALLY" bad engrish translations. Maybe hire some Japanese translator that barely understood english, like the guys SNK always seem to use for their NeoGeo games.

Red army much agressor!!!! They make big war on you. You blue army commander. You stop red army. You make all bases belong to you! Go Blue Army, Go for great justice!!!

Most of the units / weapons are proper names and probably don't need translating. But if they did, I'm sure there is probaly some NATO book with pictures and localised names.

The symbold for Capture, heavy vehicle etc are just little graphic files. I bet they spent more time localizing all the text in the end credits then anything else.
JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Mar Sun 06, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha Smile
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar Sun 06, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You my friend, are GRAVELY underestimating the amount of work it was to localize the project. Trust me. Twisted Evil
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Mar Mon 07, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Didn't we have this discussion already Doug? JVG?

I'm beginning to see why people complain to the devs about EVERYTHING. LMAO, I love being a programmer. Cool

(Seriously, I do. Now...back to the game!)

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tyrannical

PostPosted: Mar Tue 08, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wonder what did go into the localisation process. I just started playing free mode, so there is quite a bit of text there. But I don't think the descriptions / hints in free play mode were translations. Looks more like they were written specifically for the US version. Maybe they werer based of the Japanese release, but it reads "original"

PostPosted: Mar Tue 08, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it probably took Kemco all of 12 hours to do it Rolling Eyes

Kemco is not like XS Games which runs the text through Babelfish to translate it.
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar Wed 09, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was translated to english from the japansese text, however it wasnt a direct translation, due to the fact that often times, a direct translation does not make sense in english. Furthermore, the two extra maps, (Kemco Map and El Alamein) were created and written by myself and Robert respectively. In addition, the little abreveations on certain menus were all translated into english from the japanese meaning, but some needed to be shortened, yet still have the correct meaning, which was a challenge. I am sure JVG would understand what I am talking about. It took much longer than 12 hours...more like 14...Smile Just kidding. Twisted Evil

Babelwhat?!..again..kidding.
JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Mar Wed 09, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I'm still trying to figure out if the "Deploy" command is the one that translates literally to "evolution" or not, lol.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 09, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of translations, I saw several home made translations for some old (pre-playstaion / saturn) Dai Senryaku games. Now that must have been hard, no company support or source code. Just hacking it into the game.

Though I'm sure the most challenging part was not cringing while doing the campaign intro translations. I hope in the original Japanese it doesn't sound as goofy. I'm sure someone could have written a slighty less silly back ground story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: