Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for Semper Fi...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoubleTap

PostPosted: May Tue 03, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried another MEU game last night, against the Japanes on Okinawa (shades of Clancy's "Debt of Honor"). The fighters made all the difference- it's alot easier to contain the Japanese air force than the Russian air force, of course.

Semper Fi, I only used one squadron of Tomcats (I love those things), and one Tico and an Arleigh Burke, because, again, I thought it made sense. Harriers, harriers, harriers. And I used alot more infantry (with Chinooks and Ospreys) than I normally do, which is fun. The coup de grace was a back door landing by several armoured and infantry units via a San Antonio class, but the battle was already won by that time. Fun scenario, but too easy.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: May Tue 03, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
Tried another MEU game last night, against the Japanes on Okinawa (shades of Clancy's "Debt of Honor"). The fighters made all the difference- it's alot easier to contain the Japanese air force than the Russian air force, of course.

Semper Fi, I only used one squadron of Tomcats (I love those things), and one Tico and an Arleigh Burke, because, again, I thought it made sense. Harriers, harriers, harriers. And I used alot more infantry (with Chinooks and Ospreys) than I normally do, which is fun. The coup de grace was a back door landing by several armoured and infantry landing via a San Antonio class, but the battle was already won by that time. Fun scenario, but too easy.

Well, if you think about it, having naval support in the form of a Carrier Battle Group isn't too far off from many USMC landing operations. So long as the Navy don't go stealing the show. Wink

I have to say though, once you get the knack of the MEU as your core battle force, it becomes much easier to execute and way more fun. Even when you play with all the services at your disposal, you find that once you compartmentalize what branch is doing what, you find an overall strategy is much easier to devise. Such as the Marines make a landing here as either a diversion or part of a hammer and anvil. Meanwhile, your Air Force is bombing supply lines and providing Close Air Support for the Army forces that are pushing the enemy back. All the while the Navy is providing support by cruise missle, air attack and shore bombardment.

NOTE: Debt of Honr was a great read. You should read the Bear and the Dragon. Another Tom Clancy that is the most recent timeline wise. You can guess who the war is between. (Though his most recent was Red Rabbit, but that is a prequel to all of his books and not as much war going on.)

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DoubleTap

PostPosted: May Tue 03, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFi2382 wrote:

NOTE: Debt of Honr was a great read. You should read the Bear and the Dragon. Another Tom Clancy that is the most recent timeline wise. You can guess who the war is between. (Though his most recent was Red Rabbit, but that is a prequel to all of his books and not as much war going on.)

I've read all of Clancy's fiction. I think Ranbow 6 and Patriot Games might be my favorites (along with Red October and Red Storm Rising, which are classics). Come to think of it, I really liked Red Rabbit and Cardinal of the Kremlin, too. Bear and Dragon wasn't too bad. Teeth of the Tiger was OK... I thought that one was published after Red Rabbit, but I could, of course, be way off base.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: May Tue 03, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
SemperFi2382 wrote:

I've read all of Clancy's fiction. I think Ranbow 6 and Patriot Games might be my favorites (along with Red October and Red Storm Rising, which are classics). Come to think of it, I really liked Red Rabbit and Cardinal of the Kremlin, too. Bear and Dragon wasn't too bad. Teeth of the Tiger was OK... I thought that one was published after Red Rabbit, but I could, of course, be way off base.

Well, to my knowledge Red Rabbit was the most recent. However, I don't recall reading Teeth of the Tiger, so that might be one I missed. Unless I have read it and the name is just escaping me. I haven't had a chance to hit the bookstore in a few months so I haven't had a chance to take a look.

I haven't dabbled too much into the Rainbow Six portion of the Storyline just because I never got around to it. I loathe Op Center (I think the movie after reading the first in that series left a bad taste in my mouth.) Though I might give it another go just because Tom Clancy is one of my favorite authors.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DoubleTap

PostPosted: May Wed 04, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teeth of the Tiger introduces two new characters... two brothers who are recruited to go after terrorist leadership targets. I kinda just felt like the whole novel was a set up for future novels with the same cast, but it wasn't bad nonetheless. There's a big scene that takes place in the mall in my college town, which is where my folks live now.

I, too, loathe the Ops Center novels. In terms of the quality of the writing, it looks like Clancy never even looked at those books. Probably just helped with the concept, and took a fat check.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: May Wed 04, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
Teeth of the Tiger introduces two new characters... two brothers who are recruited to go after terrorist leadership targets. I kinda just felt like the whole novel was a set up for future novels with the same cast, but it wasn't bad nonetheless. There's a big scene that takes place in the mall in my college town, which is where my folks live now.

I, too, loathe the Ops Center novels. In terms of the quality of the writing, it looks like Clancy never even looked at those books. Probably just helped with the concept, and took a fat check.

Ah, ok. Then yeah, I did read Teeth of the Tiger. That was a good read. I agree with your observation about Op Center. It's more like it's just a series using his name, but without all of the greatness that comes with his books. Kind of like the games that are based off of his books and creation.

The first Ghost Recon was a great game, the add-ons were well done as far as new missions. Same for the first Rainbow Six's, but the 3rd installment was really shoddy and Ghost Recon 2 made me sick. Mad

SemperFi2382

PostPosted: May Mon 16, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found out that they are making Ghost Recon 3...They'd better do it right this go round, but from what I can see they are just continuing to *#% on the already desecrated corpse of the series.

If it weren't for the fact that I like the Splinter Cell games, I'd totally boycott Ubisoft. They canned Harpoon 4 and destroyed Ghost Recon. Is there no justice? Mad

Lol, sorry just another case of developer vs. publisher. Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: