Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great News for Console Strategy Fans.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> General Gaming Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Sep Tue 27, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Great News for Console Strategy Fans. Reply with quote

It would seem that the creators of one of my favorite RTS games of all time is teaming up with another pretty nice company to develop a game for the next gen consoles. As to what kind of title we can expect to see is up now to be highly debated, but my guess would have to be something WWII themed as that is what they are known for.

Personally, CDV Software Entertainment AG is really a great company. I'm one of the biggest critics of RTS games that most people know. Granted I merely tell people what I think of RTS games when referring to Turn Based and those that claim it's superior. Well, CDV created a few RTS games that I personally enjoyed, keep at least of them on my PC almost all the time and one that I would recommend. Games like Sudden Strike and Blitzkrieg which are RTS games that capture combat correctly.

While I still contend that Turn Based is still a better model for very detailed war simulations, CDV has shown me that it can be done. Sure, it can always be tweaked, as can Turn Based, but CDV has a good track record. Personally, if anyone should lead the charge in bringing Console Strategy Games to the next gen, I'm glad that CDV Software Entertainment AG is the one doing it. It might be Turn Based, it might be Real Time, but for what I've come to expect out of them, it shouldn't suck.

You can find a news snippet here.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DanielRuoss

PostPosted: Sep Tue 27, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Let's all keep an eye out for what they come up with. Let's hope that games like DS VII have shown the powers that be that strategy gamers are out there and will buy a good product away from the PC.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Sep Tue 27, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielRuoss wrote:
Cool. Let's all keep an eye out for what they come up with. Let's hope that games like DS VII have shown the powers that be that strategy gamers are out there and will buy a good product away from the PC.

Indeed. Considering that the next gen systems appear to have the power of high end PCs, we know that the power is there for making Strategy Games. After all, Command & Conquer was ported to the Playstation, and Starcraft was ported to the N64. So I don't see why such games cannot be on a console as well.

While it may be true that it's not the same interface, but if you think about it, important hotkeys can be mapped to a button and the analog sticks as we all know from Dai Sen and FPS, are ideal locations for camera control.

I remember playing Command & Conquer on the Playstation and not missing all that much in the transition from the PC. I may have lost some of my few dozen hotkeys, but I still did well.

In the end, at least a big name company isn't shying away from putting their reputation on the line for the sake of bringing a sorely missed genre to the fore front of console gaming. Though current gen XBoxes will see Shattered Union soon and that too might be the springboard to increase the demand for console strategy games. That is, above and beyond what Kemco has done with Dai Senryaku VII.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> General Gaming Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: