Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changes/improvements you'd like to see
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Sat 01, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adoug wrote:
Bout 6'1, 190 lbs. Twisted Evil

Funny Doug. Har har. Rolling Eyes

Lmao, at least we know you have a sense of humor. Laughing

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Sun 02, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try.... Twisted Evil
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Mon 03, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adoug wrote:
I try.... Twisted Evil

Well, keep up the good work. Cool

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ElricJC

PostPosted: Oct Sun 09, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: New Suggestion Reply with quote

Okay, just thought of another one... make the number of units that can be deployed by each side variable.

One of the 9 principles of war (a la J.F.C. Fuller) is Mass. In this game Mass is impossible to achieve ultimately because each side will eventually deploy equal forces assuming relatively equal resources. And some nations rely on Mass over power (China). If say one person, playing the U.S., can have up to 50 units, and another player playing China can deploy as many as 80 forces, the Chinese might have an edge through sheer mass. The only way to bring true mass to bear is to produce more units in the early going, but in some cases the overbalance in mass cannot be maintained due to distance, financial imbalances, productivity differences, etc.

And this is a generalization, but as long as any nation maintains a strong force of their best units, anyone can beat China since China's biggest asset, its numerical superiority, cannot be duplicated in this game as well as it could be.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Mon 10, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: New Suggestion Reply with quote

ElricJC wrote:
Okay, just thought of another one... make the number of units that can be deployed by each side variable.

One of the 9 principles of war (a la J.F.C. Fuller) is Mass. In this game Mass is impossible to achieve ultimately because each side will eventually deploy equal forces assuming relatively equal resources. And some nations rely on Mass over power (China). If say one person, playing the U.S., can have up to 50 units, and another player playing China can deploy as many as 80 forces, the Chinese might have an edge through sheer mass. The only way to bring true mass to bear is to produce more units in the early going, but in some cases the overbalance in mass cannot be maintained due to distance, financial imbalances, productivity differences, etc.

And this is a generalization, but as long as any nation maintains a strong force of their best units, anyone can beat China since China's biggest asset, its numerical superiority, cannot be duplicated in this game as well as it could be.

This is true for Russia (well as the Soviets) as well. They simply can put out a huge armor column for very little while some nations will take a hefty hit in the pocketbook for the same amount of armor, albeit higher quality.

I do agree though that it would be nice to set a variable army strength, say in the pre-mission setup. Then you really could do a much tougher slugging match on a custom map that was designed to have one army much more powerful than a different one. As it stands, even the large established armies can only field 50 units, even if they start off by owning half the map. Shocked

jojo pumpkin

PostPosted: Oct Fri 21, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this was mentioned but I would like to see the ability to save your missions where you then could watch it as it played out turn by turn.

It would be a great learning tool especially if you could turn off the "fog of war" and watch everything even the opponents!

I know it's a completely different type of game but Steel Battalion offered that feature and it was tremendously valuable for polishing your strategies and squelching your screw ups!

~Steel Rain~
JoJo Pumpkin - XBOX Live Gamertag
MisterToad

PostPosted: Oct Sat 22, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'd like to see a little more fog of war. By that I mean the exact status of the enemy units being less open to full inspection. I suppose you couldn't hide how many enemy subunits remain if the animation screen were to remain as it is now, and to a certain extent you would know the enemy's supply status if for example a tank unit failed to respond with the main gun, or they didn't return fire at all. But if there were an option to mask the strength and supply status of the enemy unit, it would add a nice element of uncertainty.

Also, I'd love to see a campaign game, or several for different powers. This could be as simple as a series of linked scenarios. In these, different victory conditions could apply aside from "kill all enemy units / capture the capital". You might have to take City X in a certain number of turns, or conduct a fighting retreat with inferior numbers. A campaign mode could also force you to try harder to conserve your troops, if in some cases you might not be able to expect full reinforcement between battles. HQ units or leaders would be good, so long it didn't get taken to an extreme like in the Panzer General III games.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Sat 22, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a more in depth campaign mode with persistent units would make for a more interesting game. While I haven't played the Campaign since I beat it to unlock all the units, I think that if the Campaign would have more replay value if there was the persistent unit factor.

MisterToad

PostPosted: Oct Sat 22, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. The Mission mode is fine so far as it goes, but it's more like grad school for the Tutorial than a coherent campaign game.

I love the Free Play element of retaining a core group of forces, but the "winner take all" nature of the play could use some spicing up with different victory conditions here and there. I'm just scratching the surface in Free Play, so perhaps the later maps will have variable challenges in store. But as it stands now in the early going, there's no reason not to play every scenario like Monty, grinding slowly and relentlessly forward. I'd like to get more of that Panzer General feel of time pressure, where you have to take some chances with your scouting and lines of communication if you're going to win decisively.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Sat 22, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some of the maps, the complexity does increase. Supply Lines become longer, Naval Tactics come into question more, Recon for bad terrain gains even more importance and sometimes hit and run is in order on the less balanced maps.

However, it is unfortunate that almost all the maps have a 99 turn limit and the only victory condition is winner take all.

irashunal

PostPosted: Oct Thu 27, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: engineers and more Reply with quote

Combat engineers could set traps in a hex by creating a 'tank trap' that the enemy wouldn't be able to detect until it tried to pass through the hex - the trap would act as an actual attack with a 'power of 1' (no pun intended).... land mines would be 'power 2', etc.

Also I have a question about ECM planes - how do they generate an ecm? In the movie 'Oceans Eleven' they blinked out part of Vegas with a "pinch" that they stole from the Univ of California. Do these warplanes actually carry something of the same sort? How are they shielded against the effects of their own armament?

And lastly: why can't we set up remote radar sites or have mobile radar units on the ground? That would provide stationary intel gathering and an early warning system that you didn't lose due to having to refuel periodically.
irashunal

PostPosted: Oct Thu 27, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: jojo! Reply with quote

Where did you get your MLRS pic? That crest looks familiar....
jojo pumpkin

PostPosted: Oct Thu 27, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*deleted by author

Last edited by jojo pumpkin on Oct Thu 27, 2005 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
jojo pumpkin

PostPosted: Oct Thu 27, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterToad wrote:
Actually, I'd like to see a little more fog of war. By that I mean the exact status of the enemy units being less open to full inspection. I suppose you couldn't hide how many enemy subunits remain if the animation screen were to remain as it is now, and to a certain extent you would know the enemy's supply status if for example a tank unit failed to respond with the main gun, or they didn't return fire at all. But if there were an option to mask the strength and supply status of the enemy unit, it would add a nice element of uncertainty.

Lets say each unit could acquire the experience to identify the enemy vehicles.

Example: a unit moves into a hex and the enemy unit is exposed at the very edge of his "fog" threshold. That unit would know there is a unit there but it would be unknown what type of unit it is. As that particular unit aquires more experience and is more capable in identifying it's targets.

Make it progressive though. Say the fog of war for one particular unit is 6 hexes. As that unit levels up the range of unit ID goes up.

Level 1 = 1 hex
Level 2 = 2 hex
and so on.

Of course in order to do this your units would have to be reuseable! Mad

OFF TOPIC
irashunal wrote:
Where did you get your MLRS pic? That crest looks familiar....

I found the pic on some random military (.gov) site the crest is that of the 6/27th Field Artillery Battalion at Fort Sill Oklahoma to which I belonged to for three years! '94-'97

~Steel Rain~
JoJo Pumpkin - XBOX Live Gamertag
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Thu 27, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: engineers and more Reply with quote

irashunal wrote:
Also I have a question about ECM planes - how do they generate an ecm? In the movie 'Oceans Eleven' they blinked out part of Vegas with a "pinch" that they stole from the Univ of California. Do these warplanes actually carry something of the same sort? How are they shielded against the effects of their own armament?

While much of the exact details are classified (due to if you knew how it worked, you could defeat it), the ECM aircraft generally create lots of "noise" that either mask their own radar signature (like snow on a tv screen).

I'm sure there are other ways, but that is the method generally used by our forces that I am currently aware of.

irashunal wrote:
And lastly: why can't we set up remote radar sites or have mobile radar units on the ground? That would provide stationary intel gathering and an early warning system that you didn't lose due to having to refuel periodically.

That's a good question. Unsually there are radars linked to Patriot Missile Batteries, so I don't see why we can't have some that can be deployed in the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: