Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for other Turn Based games...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojo pumpkin

PostPosted: Oct Mon 24, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Looking for other Turn Based games... Reply with quote

I have just discovered that there is a Mech Based TBS (Front Mission 4). This intrigues me on an almost insane level.

Could some of you guys suggest other titles I may enjoy? They don't necessarily have to be "military based". I have a PS2 & Dreamcast (TBS Preferrable, RTS is mostly pointless on consoles to date except for Railroad Tycoon 2 on Dreamcast.). The PC titles will only kill my computer I'm sure of it.

I would appreciate it!

~Steel Rain~
JoJo Pumpkin - XBOX Live Gamertag
JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Oct Mon 24, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'Gads...you're talking to the right crowd. Where to start?

Ring of Red - Mech based TBS RPG for PS2
Disgaea, La Pucelle, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom - Nippon Ichi sRPGs for PS2
Culdcept - It's a card/board game but addictive and multiplayer is a blast.
Mobile Suit Gundam Zeonic Front 0079 or somesuch title - Awesome real time tactical game. Not turn based but very thought provoking as it's pretty challenging.
Growlanser Generations - Not real time, not turn based, not really a strategy game but classified as an sRPG. The combat system is a blast and the artwork is fantastic if you're into anime style.

Japanese Dreamcast
Advanced Daisenryaku 2001 (much better than the Europe no Arasi version)
Black\Matrix AD - Long running sRPG series in Japan. Heavy Japanese dialog but the sRPG gameplay is fun and there are walkthroughs.
Super Robot Wars Alpha - Fantastic stuff. Lots of dialog but you can just skip it all and play the strategy games. Lots of robot series anime are represented in these games (SRW is out on all platforms and is also known as "Super Robot Taisen")

Lots and lots and lots and...well, lots more games out there.
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Mon 24, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about stirring a bees nest...he did come to the right crowd... Twisted Evil
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Tue 25, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adoug wrote:
Talk about stirring a bees nest...he did come to the right crowd... Twisted Evil

Laughing Ya know. Laughing

WINSPMBT "should" run on a moderately decent PC. WINSPMBT is a free download (unless you get the registered version). Check out the threat we have dedicated to it here. The turns are a little on the long side for the AI turns, but there is a lot more depth to it as well. There's also East Front, West Front and Rising Sun that's worth looking into PC wise.

JVG Named some of my suggestions already such as, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, La Pucelle Tactics and Makai Kingdom.

If you like them, there's Final Fantasy Tactics on the Playstation. (Best FF story of all the FF titles IMO.) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on the GBA wasn't as much fun, but might be worth checking out.

Other GBA Titles include Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising, and Advance Wars: Dual Strike being on the DS.

Also, Front Mission 3 on the PS is a great game if you're looking for previous iterations of the Front Mission Series.

That's just scratching the surface. Laughing

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton

Last edited by SemperFi2382 on Oct Tue 25, 2005 9:13 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Asgardian

PostPosted: Oct Tue 25, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much choices on the Xbox... all the good ones are only on the PS2! Sad

Have you heard of "Gladius"? It's a semi-turn-based RPG that uses a neat timing system for attacks, I think it's rather fun and very different to typical games. While it's gameplay is a bit simple (i.e. thin on strategy) and can seem repetitive at times, still it's great fun IMO. Furthermore, there's not many games that can provide such quality entertainment for less than $20 these days (other than DS7!).

Check out the gamespot review before you get it. Only $18 preowned at gamestop!

Asgardian.
MisterToad

PostPosted: Oct Wed 26, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFi2382 wrote:

WINSPMBT "should" run on a moderately decent PC. WINSPMBT is a free download (unless you get the registered version). Check out the threat we have dedicated to it here. The turns are a little on the long side for the AI turns, but there is a lot more depth to it as well. There's also East Front, West Front and Rising Sun that's worth looking into PC wise.

jo jo,

Sure. I was about to say the same thing. Much of the turn-based fare on the PC is also pretty forgiving when it comes to system specs. There are plenty of older games where getting them to run properly on XP will be more of a headache for you than having the game turn into a slide show because your hardware is overmatched. Here's a few others.

People's General. Also plenty of mods available for this one. http://p090.ezboard.com/fjpspanzersfrm169.showMessage?topicID=3.topic

HPS Simulations. http://www.hpssims.com/ Board game style with 2D counters, but with nice unit artwork. The Panzer Campaigns series will give you an operational flavor, Squad Battles gets down to the tactical level, individual vehicles and squads are featured. There's a better feel for infantry combat in these games, more so than the SP series, which is more armor-oriented. A word of warning about the AI though, it really sucks in the PzC games, but it's better in the SB games. Or maybe the latter are just harder to play. Wink

If you get Pacific War, there's an excellent set of mods available for creating Africa at War, plenty of 50's to 90's ex-Soviet hardware and Western hand-me downs, plus some original South African stuff. I have this on my PC and it runs just fine on my old beater. http://www.wargamer.com/Hosted/squadbattles/id105.htm

Battlefront's Strategic Command. http://www.battlefront.com/products/stratcom/stratcom.html WWII ETO on the grand strategy scale and $25 well-spent. The AI will give you a good tune-up bout, but once you learn the ropes, PBEM is the way to go.

For more of a squad-based flavor, Jagged Alliance 2 is one of my all-time favorites. The game runs RTS but the tactical battles are turn-based. Mods are available for this one too. Fallout Tactics is another good one, nicer graphics than JA2 but not so well-developed when it comes to the RPG part.

Then you have the WEGO games, such as TacOps 4. This is the commercial version of the Army officer's trainer, a demo can be found here. http://www.battlefront.com/products/tacops4/tacops4.html In terms of operational feel and good guy Blue vs. OPFOR Red, this game is kind of a cousin of DS VII. Wink Not strictly turn-based, you give orders to all of your units and then watch the battle turns play out real-time, but the flavor is turn-based, as opposed to a frantic click-fest like C&C. Included is a nice database on modern hardware as well.

And No doubt there are plenty more. Smile
jojo pumpkin

PostPosted: Oct Thu 27, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy CRAP!

I looked into WINSPMBT and I can run it with out hassle. I am intrigued. I sloshed through the intro battle with out a clue. I'm still without a clue on the machanics of the game but I'm definately into it!

I'll look into some of the others~

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

~Steel Rain~
JoJo Pumpkin - XBOX Live Gamertag
Brashin

PostPosted: Oct Fri 28, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For XBOX there is Kingdom under Fire Heroes and Kingdom under Fire Crusaders. Both games are built much like a Warhammer game where you can build up units of spearmen and archers and cavalry and also some fantasy units. Very deep and engaging.

For PS2 how could anyone forget Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII, VIII, IX, X also PTO IV all made by KOEI. Very good games indeed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: