Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dai Sen VS Shattered Union, the war is on!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you like better?
Dai Sen: MMO
75%
 75%  [ 9 ]
Shattered Union
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 12

DanielRuoss

PostPosted: Oct Fri 28, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there isn't ZOC. It makes things very fluid and the whole game set-up still heavily favors the defender.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Fri 28, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterToad wrote:
JVGFanatic wrote:
The lack of anything resembling a ZONE OF CONTROL is making Shattered Union basically unplayable. I mean, I can work with the limitations and even bugs in just about any strategy game but Shattered Union is pretty much a joke because of this simple thing.

Oh, man. You've got to be kidding. Surprised Somebody at the Wargamer posted that there is no ambush if you stumble into a hidden unit, or if the AI blunders into one of yours. The missing ZOC thing is starting to make sense now. It must make for, uh,....exceptionally fluid game play.

I was pumped up about this game at first, but the more I hear about it, the more I think maybe I'll just save my money for something else.

No ZOC? That's screwy. How can you have a wargame, especially one that is more on the tactical side without a ZOC? I understand that they might have wanted to make this game more accessible to other people outside of TBS, but a ZOC would still have made sense.

I think I'll wait until the price drops on this one, but then again it is online and that might might it worth my while.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Oct Fri 28, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFi2382 wrote:
MisterToad wrote:
JVGFanatic wrote:
The lack of anything resembling a ZONE OF CONTROL is making Shattered Union basically unplayable. I mean, I can work with the limitations and even bugs in just about any strategy game but Shattered Union is pretty much a joke because of this simple thing.

Oh, man. You've got to be kidding. Surprised Somebody at the Wargamer posted that there is no ambush if you stumble into a hidden unit, or if the AI blunders into one of yours. The missing ZOC thing is starting to make sense now. It must make for, uh,....exceptionally fluid game play.

I was pumped up about this game at first, but the more I hear about it, the more I think maybe I'll just save my money for something else.

No ZOC? That's screwy. How can you have a wargame, especially one that is more on the tactical side without a ZOC? I understand that they might have wanted to make this game more accessible to other people outside of TBS, but a ZOC would still have made sense.

I think I'll wait until the price drops on this one, but then again it is online and that might might it worth my while.

By the time you get the game I'll likely have Live again. Would love to play against you Smile
ElricJC

PostPosted: Oct Fri 28, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: SU Reply with quote

Quote:
By the time you get the game I'll likely have Live again. Would love to play against you

I may join you guys once the price drops, and if I feel getting Live is really worth it. Course, I only have a dial-up, so that could lead to some crappy play, but fortunately it's TBS, so there's none of that lag death you get while playing Halo or similar games Smile.
The_Sacrament

PostPosted: Oct Fri 28, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i wait for then to,i have to friends on live from the forums already

General Dwight D. Eisenhower
Brashin

PostPosted: Nov Thu 03, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to vote for DS7 however with that being said I really enjoy the animations and the fast pace of SU. I will add a couple issues I have with SU.

I miss not having a ZOC (there is one for AA units thats about it) and another issue I have with the game is the fact that on defense a unit can only fire once and then every other time it is attacked it cannot return fire. So if you take a weak unit and fire machineguns at a tank and it fires back you can then use every other unit to attack the tank and it will NOT return fire. If they went this route it would have been better to at least have the option to save that 1 round to return fire or not.

Another issue I seem to be having is that I rented this from Gamefly and there is no instruction manual at all. I have no idea what the bonuses do. Also I attacked the Eu faction and won and every single unit I had went to LT rank (I guess) regardless of whether or not a unit fired off a round or not. Then I had to defend a territory with the rest of my units (who were all green) and thoroughlt beat the Texans and they went straight to General rank. I am not sure how many ranks there are but statwise I did not see any difference or upgrade between Green, LT and General rank. Now I have not fought with the LT or General rank units yet but does anyone know what that does for a unit?

Also I am trying to be good and it seems now the cities heal my units but not sure how that happaned. Wish they would send an instruction manual as I cannot find one online as it might make the game easier to understand

PostPosted: Nov Thu 03, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instruction manual mentions little about anything and mostly just adds weight to the case so you feel more confident with your purchase. Very Happy

Sadly, my TV has been hijacked by my girlfriend because I found her Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for Playstation and she's been playing every night since Saturday.

I've been banished to my PC so WINSPMBT has had my time lately!
jojo pumpkin

PostPosted: Nov Thu 03, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOH! That's me up there! Sorry Wink
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Nov Sat 05, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jarhead just bought a copy of Shattered Union. Shocked

Look for my personal review in a few days (or hours if I get enough playtime in.)

BTW, for the record, I WON'T be on XBL right away unless someone is kind enough to kick a trial code my way to last me. I'd grab a full year myself, but I have to replace the tires on my Jeep. Confused

So, if you want to see me on Live with Shattered Union sooner rather than later PM me. Wink

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jombee2

PostPosted: Nov Sat 05, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and enjoy both games, but there are some problems with SU that hopefully will get patched into the PC version. BTW, the PC version of SU has superior graphics when compared to the XBox version.

1. No campaign mode multiplayer, you can only skirmish one battle. The multiplayer skirmish is very fun, but a multiplayer campaign would be even better.

2. Units need some type of visual mark that they have fired during a turn.

3. The AI needs some tweeking. It usually will pick the easiest to kill weak target, not the most dangerous one. Also, in campaign mode the computer opponents do not always do a good job strategically choosing which areas to attack.
smaug_the_dragon

PostPosted: Nov Mon 28, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: make DVII On-lIne enabled! Reply with quote

Can you imagine this game going on-line? That's exactly why Shattered Union will toast this game down the road. I recently got an X-Box live account and I play Madden 2005 on it. I love going against people so much, I'll never do Franchise Mode again. I'll go against the CPu to improve my defence or practice a play I want to run but that;s it. I don't have Shattered Union, partly becuase I can't justify paying $40.00 for a game. However, if I hear enough glowing reviews, I may just break down one of these days. But I have to ask this; if there's no ZOC, is there still a fog of war?
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Nov Tue 29, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of this game just went up on eBay. Confused

I was playing last night and I was getting ticked off at the lack of ZOC, the really shoddy AI and the fact that there are units that aren't REAL that are included. There is something about playing a game that has all real units and then they have to toss in something that isn't even remotely a futuristic vehicle. *cough*Cyber Ninjas*cough*

At least in Dai Sen, you can simply not have the fake unit in the game by choosing to not unlock it.

So, I figure I'd give my shameless eBay plug before I go trashing the game.

The AI is simply horrid. It's target acquisition is plain terrible and I don't understand it's usage of tactics either. I'm talking about a full on rush headlong into my battle lines, then attacking my support units, only to die that same turn from the units in my front that simply turned around and shot them to pieces.

Granted, I lost most of my AA and Artillery to this tactic, but even in Dai Sen on Easy the computer knows better. I don't know about you, but considering that you have to pay 35K for a plane or helo, you would think that they'd not squander them by simply flying into AA and getting KO'ed when they have known it was there for the last 3 turns.

Furthermore, the AI ignores terrain. Simply put, it doesn't even know how to utilize any terrain other than cities for when they are on the defense. In one battle (In Colorado) I simply camped at the 2 mountain passes, dug in artillery and AA and had my MBTs sitting and waiting while I scouted with partisans (don't get me started on these either). The enemy must have sent 20 units, all to their demise because they couldn't get through. I think I lost a few units to arty and air strikes, but wtf...

Earlier, when attempting to take the region back (I had no available units so I simply retreated) I saw the pass and took my time assaulting it. To my dismay, they rushed over the passes into wide open killing fields, where I slaughtered them where they stood. Not even a remotely defensive battle.

Then, I watched as throughout the course of 4 turns on the big map, not one faction took a thing from another. One simply never attacked. Ever. What kind of war is that?! On another game, I watched as I got attacked by just about every faction on the first day. I lost. On the first turn. On easy. The harder difficulties aren't any better as the AI is just as random and just as dumb.

You know, this isn't a bad game. Well, unless you play Strategy and Military titles like I do and that's about ALL you play. It's a nice introduction to the genre for those that don't any better about tactics and the like, but for those of us that DO know about tactics and whatnot, this game is terrible.

1) Graphics are nice and I wish Dai Sen had these textures (even if they could be toggled.)

2.) Live! was the reason I thought I'd like this game. However, with the shoddy mechanics and no ZOC, I know I wouldn't enjoy this title online.

3.) Sound was pretty decent. I liked the little sounds they had such as the idling of whatever unit you had selected, the warning bells when a plane or helo went down, but the unit sounds (combat and driving) were meh for the most part. Oh, and for the record, the mortar attack sounds PERFECT! (I was in mortars while in the Corps so I know)

4.) AI...well I ranted already.

5.) Combat was weird. Some units were entirely too effective in some places and inept in others. MBTs vs Light Armor... I lost more M1A1s and M60s to Light Armor than other MBTs, which of course I was killing with airstrikes and Humvees... Infantry was more or less useless as they are useful for killing units with 1 HP more than doing anything else. They die from almost any attack and most have no AA abilities, which is just wrong.

All in all, I'm hoping I make some of my money back while I'm eBaying off this game. Then maybe I can turn around and buy a better title that actually doesn't want to make me vomit after 20min of gameplay. Mad

For the record, I played this game at most 2 hours. Which, is about all I'm going to stomach. Although, I might play the EU, which is the only faction I haven't played yet. Though I know it won't change my opinion about this game any. Rolling Eyes

MySonsFanatic

PostPosted: Nov Tue 29, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played Shattered Union since the day I bought it. The boards (at gamefaqs) for the game are dead and full of folks looking for cheats and "other games" that they'd like. The parent company (2kgames) has NO BOARDS of their own nor do they have ANY support pages for Shattered Union.

All that for 40 bucks. I'm right there with you SemperFi: Shattered Union is CRAP. Smile thank you very much.
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov Tue 29, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Dai Sen is taking over! Twisted Evil
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Nov Tue 29, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adoug wrote:
MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Dai Sen is taking over! Twisted Evil

Lmao Doug, Dai Sen was never losing to begin with. It's just starting to steamroll the opposition. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: