Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic question regarding Gameboy Advance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asgardian

PostPosted: Nov Wed 02, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Off Topic question regarding Gameboy Advance Reply with quote

Hey, does anyone here have experience with the GBA and the GBA-SP?

I am looking to get either GBA (used $20) or GBA-SP (new $80 / used $60) so I can play Advance Wars and other TBS/RPG.

I have two questions:

(1) Is the GBA-SP worth the extra money?

(2) Do you think a used system from GameStop is reliable?

Thank you all in advance.

Best regards,
Asgardian.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Nov Wed 02, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Topic question regarding Gameboy Advance Reply with quote

Asgardian wrote:
Hey, does anyone here have experience with the GBA and the GBA-SP?

I am looking to get either GBA (used $20) or GBA-SP (new $80 / used $60) so I can play Advance Wars and other TBS/RPG.

I have two questions:

(1) Is the GBA-SP worth the extra money?

(2) Do you think a used system from GameStop is reliable?

Thank you all in advance.

Best regards,
Asgardian.

1) HELL YES. The backlight is worth every penny. I owned both and since I got the SP, I never looked back. Not to mention that the battery is rechargable and last much longer than a set of AA's.

2) A refurbished system is reliable and it usally carries a decent warranty for no extra cost.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MySonsFanatic

PostPosted: Nov Wed 02, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never buy used systems via mail order.

With GBA/SP look for dead pixels, even in new units. Make sure it comes with a power adapter if SP. Look for dust particles behind the screen. Check button action...etc.
Asgardian

PostPosted: Nov Wed 02, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the great advice! I am going for the GBA-SP... and perhaps I better consider getting a new system...

Thanks again, much appreciated! Very Happy Very Happy

Asgardian.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Nov Wed 02, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asgardian wrote:
Thank you so much for the great advice! I am going for the GBA-SP... and perhaps I better consider getting a new system...

Thanks again, much appreciated! Very Happy Very Happy

Asgardian.

Anytime. Don't forget to use Fanatic's advice too. The whole pixel issue slipped my mind, but is important regardless. Cool

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov Thu 03, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go grab a DS, you can get them pretty cheap used and they can play the GBA titles. That is my personal advice. Plus you get the DS library. Twisted Evil
Asgardian

PostPosted: Nov Thu 03, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adoug wrote:
Go grab a DS, you can get them pretty cheap used and they can play the GBA titles. That is my personal advice. Plus you get the DS library. Twisted Evil

I have looked into the DS - the DS is indeed far more superior than the GBA, so much so that it is a great deal in terms of cost / technology.

However, it's been out for 10 months now but the only game that seem interesting to me is Advance Wars 2! There is just not enough games out for the DS! In fact, I think the PSP has about twice as many 'decent games' out than the DS in half the time! I've read reviews saying that the DS is very innovative, but perhaps overly so that developers are not very good at developing games for the system, and the fear is that it might just stay that way given how much more popular the PSP is.

I did consider just getting the DS to play GBA games, but it just seem to be a bit of over kill.

Anyway... GBA games are pretty freaken expensive! Their prices don't seem to drop much compared to what I'm used to with Xbox games. Perhpas it's the nature of handheld market, or because these games are more of a collector's items?! Some GB color games (e.g. Dragon Warrior III) is still selling at $30!!! Man, the NEW Fire Emblem on GBA is only $30!!! What the?!

Okay, that's enough...

Asgardian.
MySonsFanatic

PostPosted: Nov Thu 03, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2c.

Just got a DS. I find it the least comfy of all the current gen nintendo handhelds. I'd much rather play GBA games on an SP.

Advance Wars DS is kinda cool but annoying that you have to use the lower screen for more than half the game.

GBA games are somewhat pricey but I think if you look for bargains you'll find em. There's a LOT of good stuff out there making the GBA one of my favorite video game units ever.

My GBA must-have List:

Rebelstar Tactical Command
Tactics Ogre
Fire Emblem 6 (import)
Fire Emblem 7
Fire Emblem 8
Shining Force RotD
CIMA The Enemy
Mech Platoon
Advance Wars 1 & 2
ZOE Fist of Mars (easy, but good for one playthrough for its story)

Optional non-strategy titles

Astro Boy
Guardian Heroes Advance
Castlevanias (two in one cart to be released next year)
Demi-Kids (pokemon for an older audience, Megami Tensei)

Tons of puzzle games I've not played but lots of people like the GBA for them.

I'm not a big Golden Sun fan but you'll find hordes of recommends
Asgardian

PostPosted: Nov Fri 04, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really grateful for all your invaluable info! After work today, I will go and buy a new GBA-SP bundle from gamestop which comes with Final Fantasy Tatics Advance for $90, not a bad deal!

Fantasy Tatics Advance might not be anywhere near the level of sweetness compared to classics such as Fire Emblem or Shining Force. However, from what I have read about it, if I can over look the horrible menu system and some strange 'law system' during fights, then I will be treated to 300 missions + many more! Very Happy

Hehe.. my must have list is almost identical to yours! Smile

TBS:
* Rebelstar Tactical Command
* Tactics Ogre
* Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
* Shining Force RotD
* Advance Wars 2
* Goldern Sun

action-RPG:
* Pokemon Leaf Green
* The Legend of Zelda: the minish cap
* Mario & Luigi: superstar saga
* DBZ: Legend of Goku II

others:
* Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Adventure 3
* Racing Gears Advance

However, some of them is pretty hard to track down noadays (e.g. Tatics Ogre)...

I'm still undecided about:
* Sword of Mana
* Breath of Fire I & II
* Riviera: The Promised Land
* Final fantasy I & II
* Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town

Has any one played "Riviera"? I have read fairly strong points for and against this game, is the battle system good enough to over come the strange level-up and navigational issues?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to own my first ever handheld! After all these years of dreaming of having one... I am sso happy Very Happy

Thanks all again for the replies!

Asgardian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: