Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backwards Compatibility
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SemperFi2382



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Posts: 778
Location: Chicago Suburbs, IL USA

PostPosted: Nov Sat 05, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just canned my XBox 360 pre-order and as such, I won't be worried about backwards compatibility anymore (picked up a new XBox instead).

Look forward to a nice AAR from me soon! Ooh Rah! Carry on. Cool
_________________

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Guest






PostPosted: Nov Thu 10, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you provide me more information on this matter?



Back to top
DoubleTap



Joined: 04 Mar 2005
Posts: 76
Location: Manhattan

PostPosted: Nov Thu 17, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the "official" backwards compatibility list, and Dai Senryaku VII was not on it. Niether was Shattered Union, for that matter...
_________________
"If an evil is minor, resist it nonetheless. If a good deed is trifling, perform it all the same." -Liu Bei
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sanctine



Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 54
Location: Montréal

PostPosted: Nov Thu 17, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
Just saw the "official" backwards compatibility list, and Dai Senryaku VII was not on it. Niether was Shattered Union, for that matter...


Neither was Metal Dungeon, or Dead or Alive Ultimate. The only two XBox games I own (I don't even own an Xbox). I was hoping that Microsoft would make the 360 fully compatible, so I wouldn't have to buy another console for just those two games. Ah, well...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ElricJC
Guest





PostPosted: Nov Thu 17, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Uh oh, bad Microsoft, bad! Reply with quote

Quote:
I was hoping that Microsoft would make the 360 fully compatible, so I wouldn't have to buy another console for just those two games. Ah, well...


Which I think is a HUGE mistake on Microsoft's part. Universal backwards compatibility is the best way to extend system life and to give it greater value in the eyes of gamers (at least most gamers I know). While new systems are great an all, being able to play one's older games all on the same system is a very attractive feature. If Sony does this, I think it will give them an edge over MS again. And as to what Nintendo is doing, I have no idea.
Back to top
SemperFi2382



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Posts: 778
Location: Chicago Suburbs, IL USA

PostPosted: Nov Thu 17, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Uh oh, bad Microsoft, bad! Reply with quote

ElricJC wrote:
Quote:
I was hoping that Microsoft would make the 360 fully compatible, so I wouldn't have to buy another console for just those two games. Ah, well...


Which I think is a HUGE mistake on Microsoft's part. Universal backwards compatibility is the best way to extend system life and to give it greater value in the eyes of gamers (at least most gamers I know). While new systems are great an all, being able to play one's older games all on the same system is a very attractive feature. If Sony does this, I think it will give them an edge over MS again. And as to what Nintendo is doing, I have no idea.


I believe Nintendo is doing a full BC list as well. I'm also catching that they will have classics available on their next-gen as well. Whether or not they will be free is still subject to debate as they don't hold all the classic licenses.

***

The problem with MS doing full BC is that they didn't use the same video card on the 360 as they did on the original XBox (using ATi and not nVidia). So, they have to use an emulator to achieve BC, which I can see being difficult.

What I don't get is if you are running an emulator for the video card, why aren't all the games working off the emulator. They are making separate "emulation profiles" for each game and I think that is where the problem lies. Instead, they should have made a blanket "profile". Why they didn't do the single profile is beyond me.
_________________

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sanctine



Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 54
Location: Montréal

PostPosted: Nov Thu 17, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Uh oh, bad Microsoft, bad! Reply with quote

SemperFi2382 wrote:
So, they have to use an emulator to achieve BC, which I can see being difficult.


Yes, which is why I'm hoping Microsoft will come out with updates for individual games that they are emulating. That would be a smart move, so, while Microsoft hasn't said anything about this, if you are able to update the firmware, I see it as a possibility.

SemperFi2382 wrote:
What I don't get is if you are running an emulator for the video card, why aren't all the games working off the emulator. They are making separate "emulation profiles" for each game and I think that is where the problem lies. Instead, they should have made a blanket "profile". Why they didn't do the single profile is beyond me.


It's probably because it's harder and more time consuming to impliment. Because Microsoft wants to get the jump on next gen (a la Dreamcast), I think that they think any delay will ruin chances of fans picking up the system over their competitors'.

Well, however you look at it, I'm not getting the 360 until the PS3 or Revolution is out. That way, I'll be able to cash in on that HUGE price drop. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
DanielRuoss



Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 103
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

PostPosted: Nov Wed 23, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard/read they're going to use emulators to help the backwards compatability gap. While I agree that not having full BC is a glaring oversight, if they follow through with the emulators we'll have nothing to complain about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SemperFi2382



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Posts: 778
Location: Chicago Suburbs, IL USA

PostPosted: Nov Wed 23, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielRuoss wrote:
From what I've heard/read they're going to use emulators to help the backwards compatability gap. While I agree that not having full BC is a glaring oversight, if they follow through with the emulators we'll have nothing to complain about.


While I tend to agree, with the limited amount of games available at release, it really hurts to not see more BC games to tide you over until the next batch of games is released in early spring of 2006.

All in all, I have a new orginal XBox and so I won't worry about BC regardless for a long while if at all anymore.
_________________

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Guest






PostPosted: Nov Thu 24, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFi2382 wrote:
DanielRuoss wrote:
From what I've heard/read they're going to use emulators to help the backwards compatability gap. While I agree that not having full BC is a glaring oversight, if they follow through with the emulators we'll have nothing to complain about.


While I tend to agree, with the limited amount of games available at release, it really hurts to not see more BC games to tide you over until the next batch of games is released in early spring of 2006.

All in all, I have a new orginal XBox and so I won't worry about BC regardless for a long while if at all anymore.


Are you saying that you wont buy the Xbx 360?
Back to top
DanielRuoss



Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 103
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

PostPosted: Nov Thu 24, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, it does suck not being 100% BC. Mad I wasn't one who got the original Xbox right away. I waited quite a while actually. I was mainly into PC games at the time it came out. The biggest reason for me getting a pre-order 360 is because of the shortage. Depending on who's talking they might get more for Christmas but it will most likely be as limited as the launch has been. After that they're talking about March 2006! If I remember right that is when Halo 3 is set to launch which will probably put another crunch on the availability of systems.

By the way, just for sh*ts and giggles, check out what the Xbox 360 is going for on Ebay. It's crazy! If I had forseen that I'd have signed up for at least 1 more!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MisterToad



Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Posts: 29
Location: NorCal, USA

PostPosted: Nov Thu 24, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielRuoss wrote:

By the way, just for sh*ts and giggles, check out what the Xbox 360 is going for on Ebay. It's crazy! If I had forseen that I'd have signed up for at least 1 more!


I agree, it's nuts. Laughing The people must be the first to have a 360 are of the same mentality as those who rush to a car dealership and pay a $20k dealer mark-up on a new model they could buy for MSRP if they only waited a couple of months.
_________________
Steve
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SemperFi2382



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Posts: 778
Location: Chicago Suburbs, IL USA

PostPosted: Nov Thu 24, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Are you saying that you wont buy the Xbx 360?


No, I'm saying that I'll be waiting until Spring of 2006 to buy one. Probably late Spring so all the games that are due out in March (aka Gears of War) have hit the shelves and whatnot. Wink
_________________

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DanielRuoss



Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 103
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

PostPosted: Nov Fri 25, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterToad wrote:
I agree, it's nuts. Laughing The people must be the first to have a 360 are of the same mentality as those who rush to a car dealership and pay a $20k dealer mark-up on a new model they could buy for MSRP if they only waited a couple of months.


Funny you mention that. Whenever I've bought a new car (which for myself has only been once so far) I always stay away from the first year new cars. Too many little nuanced problems they end up fixing the next year and like you said they are always marked-up because of the sheep that not only want what's new but will pay any price for it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DanielRuoss



Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 103
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

PostPosted: Nov Fri 25, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFi2382 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Are you saying that you wont buy the Xbx 360?


No, I'm saying that I'll be waiting until Spring of 2006 to buy one. Probably late Spring so all the games that are due out in March (aka Gears of War) have hit the shelves and whatnot. Wink


Thats probably the smart play. Like you I've got enough on the Xbox to keep me busy for now. So the 360 isn't going to take over the TV quite yet. As I said it was coming out on my B-day and they were going to be scarce. So what the hell, I bought one! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to: