Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turn Based Strategy freaks might like Sakura Taisen!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> The Suggestion Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanctine

PostPosted: Nov Wed 23, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Turn Based Strategy freaks might like Sakura Taisen! Reply with quote

Sakura Taisen,

A TRPG made and published by Sega in Japan. Why an installment of this great series on the PS2 was never released in the U.S. is beyond me. This series already has a pretty big fanbase in North America, despite an installment never reaching our shores, due to an anime spinoff translated and released by ADV.

My suggestion is: Kemco should localize and release Sakura Taisen V (Sakura Wars 5 in english) in the US. I know it's a long shot...

If anyone's interested in screenshots, I found some here: http://www.the-magicbox.com/0504/game050417b.shtml
And here: http://www.gamekult.fr/tout/jeux/fiches/J000020845_screenshots.html?maj=1&typeMedia=150022
(this site's in french, so just FYI; "Images suivantes" means "next images" in english.)

Annnnnnd.... I thought I'd host and post a few images I liked, just in case a few of you are too lazy to click on those links. Wink

MySonsFanatic

PostPosted: Nov Wed 23, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played 1-4, I'll give a nod.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Nov Thu 24, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, New York is a location it seems in there.

Looks nice, I think I'd give it a go if it came stateside. Cool

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MySonsFanatic

PostPosted: Nov Thu 24, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about part five but I assume it's the same as 1-4. The game is 90 percent anime based dialog with choices that affect your teammates abilities in battle. Mini games also play a role. The strategy is of the "lite" variety with a few exceptions.

The games would mostly appeal to those who LOVE anime stylings in their games. Even the most die-hard strategy fanatics would hate them if coupled with an intolerance for anime.
Sanctine

PostPosted: Nov Thu 24, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMR magazine gave the Sakura Taisen series #12 in their "Games that got away" list, listing all the best games that never made it stateside.

I found that interesting, as other top-notch TRPGs such as Front Mission 2 (#15) and Shining Force parts 2&3 (#4) were also listed, as both of those installments have had other games in their respective series' released here. Sakura Taisen has never had.... and that's sad.

According to Gamestats.com, Sakura Taisen V has gotten an average rating throughout magazines and websites, of 8.9/10. It's also interesting to note that Famitsu game it an 8, a 9, and two perfect 10's!

Quote:
Heh, New York is a location it seems in there.

Yeah, from what I understand, the whole game takes place in New York.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Nov Thu 24, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MySonsFanatic wrote:
The games would mostly appeal to those who LOVE anime stylings in their games. Even the most die-hard strategy fanatics would hate them if coupled with an intolerance for anime.

While I'm not the anime type, I do watch a few animes. Mostly mecha like Gundam, one whose name escapes me at the moment (the monsters are called angels) and my personal favorite, Escaflone (only missed Vol or Episode 7, can't remember, but all I know is that it involves a 7 lol).

Though I am not a die hard anime fan (I think Escaflone was the only one I saw from start to finish in the course of a week.), I think I'd like to play an anime styled game that had at least a minor SRPG feel to it.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> The Suggestion Box All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: