Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Adventures of Zippy the Wonder Truck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElricJC

PostPosted: Nov Mon 14, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: The Adventures of Zippy the Wonder Truck! Reply with quote

Okay, I've had the same coral of American units for a while, including of all things an S class supply truck, and I use it every mission I play and no matter what - it never dies! Oh it might get knocked down to one unit sometimes, but it always comes back, and it just amazes me that after 20 missions this homely little supply truck keeps surviving. The latest adventure of Zippy the Wonder Truck truck is as follows...

While playing Sumatra Tiger I deployed Zippy to resupply a group of Abrams and a Paladin, dropped off by a San Antonio assault ship to reinforce a group of Spec. Forces that had been deployed to Southern Sumatra on a facility capturing spree. Zippy came under fire by a Lynx assault chopper and then a Gazelle, compliments of the Brits, and the Lynx didn't score a single kill, while the Gazelle grabbed one, and the might Zippy destroyed 2 Lynxes and 2 Gazelles with its little machine gun. Zippy then took the offensive against a group of Starstreak SPSAMs and destroyed 4 of them (2 were weakened already), and was then brought under attack by a Braveheary SPH, where it lost 4 units. Later Zippy returned, repaired, and finished off the last two of the same Braveheart squad that damaged it earlier, following up a concerted attack by an Abrams and a Paladin column. With combined air strikes the Brits were neutralized, leaving only the Japanese. In all another 4 squads of Cobras came after the mighty Zippy, but Zippy lives still! The Japanese were forced back, and a group of Spec. Forces was ready to capture the HQ, but a pesky Japanese SPAAG remained on the base, and only one unit could reach it.

Zippy finished it off, and the Spec. Forces marched in, case closed. And Zippy lives to fight another day.

All hail Zippy! Very Happy Laughing
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov Mon 14, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little supply truck(s) that could... Twisted Evil
MisterToad

PostPosted: Nov Tue 15, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, That's a great story, Elric. Smile

Those supply trucks do fill a nice utility role now and then. Many times I've used one to polish off an enemy unit which is reduced to 1/10, saving my stronger units for bigger things. And I must admit to having employed "suicide truck" tactics now and then when in a tight spot. Leave 'em there to delay the enemy and soak up punishment while saving more valuable units.

Regarding S units, I think it's a bit unrealistic to to absorb unlimited replacements to your decimated leveled-up units and not have to suffer any dilution of the experience level. But I can live with it. Wink
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Nov Tue 22, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterToad wrote:
Regarding S units, I think it's a bit unrealistic to to absorb unlimited replacements to your decimated leveled-up units and not have to suffer any dilution of the experience level. But I can live with it. Wink

You know, I was thinking about that. Air units would make sense as you can assume that all they are doing is replacing fighters and not pilots (seeing that they might have a 100% ejection rating. Rolling Eyes ). However, the ground crews and the like aren't so easily explained.

HOWEVER, if you think about it, take an elite unit and then give them replacements. You're not going to pump the elite unit full of green recruits fresh out of boot. No, you're going to put the most experienced guys in that unit so that they can operate at the level they are used to. SEALs don't put green troops in the field so to speak. They are hardened and trained much better than a run of the mill infantry unit.

Though, regardless of trying to rationalize it, I'm not going to complain either. Laughing

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MisterToad

PostPosted: Nov Thu 24, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, Semper Fi, although I don't entirely agree with it. I wouldn't care to make the assumption of a 100% punch-out rate for pilots who's planes have just been blown up with AAM's.

And as far as rebuilding your land units are concerned, I agree, I don't think the US would fill the ranks of a Marine or Ranger unit with bumbling n00bs straight out of Boot Camp or Basic. But the US doesn't have much history of refitting units which have been almost completely wiped out. But even so, our support-heavy WW2 army in the ETO was having trouble scraping together infantry replacements by '45. Just take a look at the Germans. They just started running out of men - period, let alone having time to train them to elite standards. By '44, there were more than a few Hitler Youth kids filling out the Waffen SS ranks in Normandy.

Anyhow, as long as I get to keep my S units always leveled up against the AI, who am I to complain about it ?
Laughing
ElricJC

PostPosted: Feb Thu 09, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: And the Zip goes on! Reply with quote

Well, I've finally played another US mission utilizing this immortal truck, and boy was it a slug fest!

I played as the US in Battle Creek (instead of Japan), and Zippy was once again a major part of the battle. Hanging back with the green truck drivers, this S class scion of the supply tankers hanged back and kept the troops fit and ready. This battle took a gruelling 67 turns on Hard, especially since my S class units appeared to made out of paper when struck by the mighty (snicker snicker) Chinese units. I mean, I lost 7 out of 10 S class F-35s to a bunch of E class J-10s. You tell me that ain't screwy!

Anyway, I created a slowly grinding wall of MBTs, backed up by SPHs, Patriots, and ATACMS, after a rather unsuccessful drive through the eastern mountains and a failing central force had to pull away. I lost a large number of attack planes to enemy fighters, but Zippy kept trucking. Zippy ran into a full strength group of Type 86 IFVs, Israeli scout trucks, and a partial strength unit of Type 98s that managed to streak through my lines, and Zippy killed the tanks, tore up the enemy trucks, and after repairing and replacing some lost trucks, Zippy defended the southern airport from the Chinese IFVs all by itself. From then on the enemy seemed to ignore Zippy and concentrated more on my line and my SPHs, and after hard fighting and a concerted effort from 4 cruise missile packing S-class B-1s, an F-18RC, a Stratotanker, and a fully loaded Osprey took control of the Israelis by carefully moving through the radar shadows, all forces were brought to bear on the Chinese.

The U.S. suffered a very high casualty rate of 587, but all enemies sustained 3,767 combined casualties. And, of course, Zippy lives to fight another day. Go, Zippy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: