Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite Units Anyone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Giant

PostPosted: Mar Thu 31, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know its name, but the Chinese bomber is sweet. Its got a decent defence too, so it doens't just get shot down quick and die and it can drop a motherload of bombs. Its a nice surprise mixed in among the weak Chinese army.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Mar Thu 31, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VI 6 wrote:
You're probably right, but in a game like this I prefer accuracy and realism to balance.War's all about exploiting your advantages after all.

I agree 100% Cool

However, on the other hand, those of us (including myself) that are die-hards for realism and accuracy usually get outspoken.

The only hopes are to see a PC version that can be modded. Wink

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kab the Mentat

PostPosted: Mar Thu 31, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Ice COLD! Reply with quote

My favorites are probably the M1A2 Abrams, M109 Paladins, and A-10 Thunderbolts (Warthogs). I've always loved the A-10s...they're so ugly. It's like having a mutt for a dog instead of a purebread. They have personality. Also, a combo of those into your military during a game and you're almost unstoppable. Lastly, and probably most importantly, I like them before they are 100% GEN-YOO-AINE American. Can't help it, I'm a nationalist. Wink
Iron Giant

PostPosted: Apr Mon 04, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played through a free play map as the British. I love those VTOL's now. They can't be hit by most of their targets so have a good life to them. They can take out ground units, helicopters and enemy jets too. And all you need to resupply is a resupply truck.

On the downside, they don't have a whole lot of ammo or fuel, so you have to coordinate a resupply point well or they drop off.... I tried to save up enough cash for the British VTOL air craft carrier, but by the time I could afford it and start sending it to the front line, the Harriers had already won the game Cool
VI 6

PostPosted: Apr Sat 09, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just recently completed mission mode, and moved on to free mode I have to agree with Kab on the A-10s.They're tough as nails and carry alot of firepower.I even use them against enemy fighters because they really can't hurt them, and the A-10s shred them with cannon and sidewinders.
tyrannical

PostPosted: Apr Sat 09, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I should have copyrighted all my praise on the A-10.
I feel so violated now Shocked

The A-10 is probably the most unbalanced unit in the game. Dirt cheap for an air unit, and tough. Gains levels really fast as there is always something it can attack.

Let me also reccomend the 5 bomb mix for the A-10. You can attack ground targets at medium air height, saves fuel.
Also, you can gatling attack choppers flying at low when you are at medium height, so they can not counter attack.
irashunal

PostPosted: Aug Sun 07, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: fav air units Reply with quote

The A-10 is undoubtedly the toughest dang thing in the air! It can serve as an anti-armor or antiheli, heck, anit-everything!! It takes a beating and still flies home for more ammo.

The F-22? has an insane range for it's AGM - about 18 hexes!!! Holy death from way out in left field Batman!!!

On the ground... I kind of like the T-80's/Merkava tanks. With them you can stop short of the enemy line and hit them once before engaging in nose to nose fighting, you can also pull up behind one of your own units and send a support volley into the enemy before the front line goes nose to nose. There's a definate advantage in that.

Add some standard move and fire capable artillery to that setup and you have a front line eliminator group.

For the money though the M1a2, Challenger, and LeClerc tanks are tough SOBs to be sure. Get them in a hex with a good terrain defense bonus and you'll spend half of your units turns trying to bring down that one unit.
ROBERT

PostPosted: Aug Sun 07, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I don't lihe about A-10's is their short movement rate
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Mon 08, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: fav air units Reply with quote

irashunal wrote:
The F-22? has an insane range for it's AGM - about 18 hexes!!! Holy death from way out in left field Batman!!!

Laughing

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
irashunal

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: A-10's Reply with quote

ROBERT wrote:
The only thing I don't lihe about A-10's is their short movement rate

Yeah that does kind of suck. In order to really mess someone up from far away you have to fly a formation of A-10's with a stratotanker in the middle or riding up behind when they need it. I've done that before in order to strike at long range targets - but if you're going to do that then why not send actual bombers so you can hover around and really make a nuisance of yourself? If you got the cash go for the heavy birds.
ROBERT

PostPosted: Aug Wed 10, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is: because of it´s short movement range and it´s not so big fuel capacity the A-10 don´t seem to me as the ("probably") most unbalanced unit in the game as tyrannical stated. I mean, it is actually a cheap and tough air unit with a comparatively huge ammo loadout but with a short movement range and fuel capacity, so there´s the balance.

The A-10 has worked for me in many situations, but certainly long range missions are not their strong side, the stratotanker idea is pretty good though, but it is out of question when your funds are limited. I mean, that´s the whole idea behind the A-10, the price, isn´t it?
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Wed 10, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROBERT wrote:
The point is: because of it´s short movement range and it´s not so big fuel capacity the A-10 don´t seem to me as the ("probably") most unbalanced unit in the game as tyrannical stated. I mean, it is actually a cheap and tough air unit with a comparatively huge ammo loadout but with a short movement range and fuel capacity, so there´s the balance.

The A-10 has worked for me in many situations, but certainly long range missions are not their strong side, the stratotanker idea is pretty good though, but it is out of question when your funds are limited. I mean, that´s the whole idea behind the A-10, the price, isn´t it?

Well, I figure it this way. Either the unit captures enough to pay for itself, it's a good unit. If the unit I bought kills more units than I paid for (aka, a $300 kills more than $300 in units) it's worth it. If it kills multiples more than what I paid for it, then it's a great unit. The A-10 is one of those units when money is an issue. A $1500 plane is killing 3, 4 even 5 times it's initial cost is definitely a big reason I use it early on. Cool

PostPosted: Aug Thu 11, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROBERT wrote:
the whole idea behind the A-10, the price, isn´t it?

Actually for me the fact that there's NO OTHER aircraft that has a 4 hp per subunit status, THAT is the point of the A-10 for me. I can actually send an A-10 out to take out the enemy's heaviest antiaircraft installations (with luck several of them with only one plane) before i send in my more vulnerable jets, choppers, and bombers.

The A-10 is a great sweeper in advance of your assault heli simply because one cheap investment can pound a heap of resistance into the scrap bin before the heli ever gets in danger.

The only factor involved that you need to consider is the poor range - but if you don't mind going kamikaze on them ride it out until it crashes.
ElricJC

PostPosted: Aug Mon 15, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Fav units Reply with quote

I LOVE the A-10. Sure, it's top speed is a paltry 450mph, but in its intended mission speed is not an issue. In this game it means the A-10 usually doesn't arrive to the fight too quickly.

And actually their fuel capacity is descent. With a move of only 8 (or 9 if you load them with the 1000lb bombs instead), a fuel of 90 gives them 11 consecutive rounds of standard movement. Their ammo load gives them great versatility against land units and heli units. I can even use an A or S class Thunderbolt to strike down more primitive enemy fighters in a pinch. They are so cheap, so simple, so powerful, and so tough, it's hard to argue with them.

I'm also a big fan of the B-1. Not only does it have the 2000lbers (a load of 1Cool, but it can also mount the AGM-89 missile (range 14, FP 6, max elev. medium, acc 75/80, load 11). It only costs 3500 and when combined in an attack group of 4, with air recon support, a Stratotanker, a fully loaded Osprey, and a defense fighter, you can usually destroy the enemy base from a distance and move in your osprey when a hole is made to unload your infantry, right into their base.

Some units are more useful in certain situations, and less in others, and a couple of units I like to use in special purpose situations are the Harrier and the F-117A Nighthawk. The harrier loads a small number of older generation guided bombs, but its VTOL ability allows it to be used in a tactic I call a "Raider Cell", a group of 4-6 harriers supported by 1-2 supply trucks that can roam around behind your main line, make quick strikes, and retreat to reload. They aren't always useful when the enemy is filling the sky with fighters since the harrier is very vulnerable.

The F-117 is also a special purpose weapon. It has no guns, only 2 bombs, but those bombs are great - acc 95/96/65 (tank, inf, ship), FP 5, making them potent and accurate weapons. They also have a stealth factor of 24, and at only 2,250 credits, they are a good bargain. They have a speed of 11 (14), making them marginally quick when compared with other attack craft, but only have a fuel load of 60, requiring a tanker and/or a nearby well-protected airport.

I have lots of other fav units (like the ATACMS, the Hong 6 Badger, the Apache), but that would take a lot more space Smile.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Sat 20, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fav units Reply with quote

ElricJC wrote:
I'm also a big fan of the B-1. Not only does it have the 2000lbers (a load of 1Cool, but it can also mount the AGM-89 missile (range 14, FP 6, max elev. medium, acc 75/80, load 11). It only costs 3500 and when combined in an attack group of 4, with air recon support, a Stratotanker, a fully loaded Osprey, and a defense fighter, you can usually destroy the enemy base from a distance and move in your osprey when a hole is made to unload your infantry, right into their base.

Don't forget the B-1 also carries a sizeable Stealth rating too. While not as high as the F-117, or the B-2, it does have one and thus much more resilient than some of the nations other heavy bombers. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: