Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

They should have English"asized" the name.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyrannical

PostPosted: Mar Fri 04, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: They should have English"asized" the name. Reply with quote

Blame it on poor marketing.
Who is this Ryku San and why should he die?

Honestly, the game should have been titles "Modern Millitary tactics: Dai Senryaku VII" That way the game title would be listed with a nice English description of what it is, while still telling those that actually know the Dai Senryaku series.

Companies list games by their official titles. Try going into a store and asking for some weird japanese sounding name. Now imagine going to a store and asking for something titles "Modern Millitary Tactics".

Great game by the way.
Uglyduck

PostPosted: Mar Sat 05, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it was the Name "Dai Senryaku" that first drew my attention. As it isnt published in this country I didnt have the embarrassment of trying to ask for it in a shop Smile

Incidentally - how *should* it be pronounced?
JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Mar Sat 05, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pronounced exactly like it is spelled though the last U is sometimes just barely said. Actually, I'm just going on how I've heard it and what I know about Japanese which--compared to some--is very little.

I think the name Dai Senryaku is distinctive and thus it's a great name for the game in the states and I'm glad they kept it.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 05, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is pronounced "die sin rye ah coo". I nice long discustion thread on how to pronounce it (before adoug gets here) would kind of porve my point.

Calling it "Modern Millitary Tactics:Dai Senryaku VII" Would still keep the "interesting" name as a subtitle, but the main name would be a descriptive English one. WHen games are listed as coming soon, or order now, or in reviews it would be primarily listed as "modern millitary tactics" and not Dai Senryaku.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Mar Sat 05, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I think it is pronounced "die sin rye ah coo". I nice long discustion thread on how to pronounce it (before adoug gets here) would kind of porve my point.

Calling it "Modern Millitary Tactics:Dai Senryaku VII" Would still keep the "interesting" name as a subtitle, but the main name would be a descriptive English one. WHen games are listed as coming soon, or order now, or in reviews it would be primarily listed as "modern millitary tactics" and not Dai Senryaku.

I disagree on two accounts. First, because I believe that a ported game should keep it original title as close as possible. After all, it IS someone else's game port or not. Second, many game titles have nothing to do with the content of the game or are so vague, that you'd never have a clue. Personally, with the way the title is now, more people would look at it because the title isn't all English.

Though, since I'm part Japanese and I'm very picky about the game industry at times, I might only be representing a smaller portion of opinions.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Mar Sat 05, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Actually, what is very amusing about this is that on the PS2 there was a nice long discussion thread about the title Katamari Damacy but you know what we discussed? The many possible meanings of the title. There was some discussion of the pronunciation but it mostly focused on the end of the title (see or shi). Not once did I hear anyone say that the name should have been different.

Other PS2 games that have retained their Japanese titles have also been quite popular without me ever hearing a name change proposal (Shin Megami Tensei, Disgaea, Kessen). Figures an American made system known mostly for it's fpses, racing games, and sports titles would attract the idea of a name change.

As an aside, Japanese, for the most part, is pronounced like it is written. I do believe your proposal for "die sin..." is incorrect.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Mar Sat 05, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVGFanatic wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Actually, what is very amusing about this is that on the PS2 there was a nice long discussion thread about the title Katamari Damacy but you know what we discussed? The many possible meanings of the title. There was some discussion of the pronunciation but it mostly focused on the end of the title (see or shi). Not once did I hear anyone say that the name should have been different.

Other PS2 games that have retained their Japanese titles have also been quite popular without me ever hearing a name change proposal (Shin Megami Tensei, Disgaea, Kessen). Figures an American made system known mostly for it's fpses, racing games, and sports titles would attract the idea of a name change.

As an aside, Japanese, for the most part, is pronounced like it is written. I do believe your proposal for "die sin..." is incorrect.

Totally off topic but, Kessen and Disgaea were 2 of my favorite PS2 games.

As for pronunciation, from someone that speaks it, "dye sen-ree-a-ku" is how it should be pronounced. I confirmed this with one of my more fluent cousins. (Yes, as I said before for those that don't know, I'm part Japanese.)

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Mar Sat 05, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Kessen 3 is radically different than Kessen (or Kessen 2 for that matter) but DAMN it is one of the more "fun" Kessen's yet. You don't feel as removed from the battle as you did in part 1 and the controls are much easier than part 2. One small issue I have with part 3 is the absurdity of the magic, it's way over the top.

Off topic: here's that argument I was referring to:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=583046&topic=19571948
tyrannical

PostPosted: Mar Sun 06, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game is called Dai Senryaku VII Modern Millitary Tactics.
All I really suggested was switching it to Modern Millitary Tactics: Dai Senryaku VII. Just changing the order of the words a bit.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Mar Sun 06, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyrannical wrote:
The game is called Dai Senryaku VII Modern Millitary Tactics.
All I really suggested was switching it to Modern Millitary Tactics: Dai Senryaku VII. Just changing the order of the words a bit.

But reversing the title and sub title make it a completely different game. Think about Command & Conquer: Red Alert. Red Alert: Command & Conquer just doesn't sound right. Reversing the title for Dai Senryaku does the same thing.

Besides, why are we having this silly discussion anyhow?

tyrannical

PostPosted: Mar Sun 06, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are having this silly discusion because we may never see a US release of Dai Senryaku VIII because VII did not sell well because stores did not order it because they didn't know what the hell it was.

The two people arguing with me are JAPANESE video game fanatic and a half Japanese guy that has cousins that speak Japanese.
JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Mar Sun 06, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The audience for this game will be small regardless of the title. It is possible that a swapping of the title would yeild a different kind of attention though.

I think that regardless of title this game will sell well over time. Kemco could hoard even a medium large printing of this and sell it as word spreads. It won't be a Katamari Damacy because Katamari Damacy had some kick ass marketing behind it and sadly I don't recall Kemco ever known for it's 'edgy' promotional schemes...or effective distribution for that matter.

Hell though, they could probably sell copies on ebay for years and make money that way, lol.

In a way I'm glad the title isn't as invasive as something English. It will keep the riff raff away. The only people playing it, at least for the most part, will be fans.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Mar Mon 07, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't see your logic. This is a turn based strategy game which in and of itself a niche genre. Most gamers want action, hence the obvious ratio of action vs thinking.

(I'm not saying that action games don't make you think, but I think I can safely assume you know what I'm inferring.)

The sucess of lesser known titles depends on word of mouth and it's reputation. I alone have gotten at least 5 people interested in the game just by mentioning it's a TBS. They were like, "I never heard of it, but it sounds like a good game."

I didn't know about this game until I saw a review for it in Game Informer. Disgaea (Another lesser known game) I found out through someone that was talking about it on a forum. The point is many Japanese games are sleeper hits or slow and steady in sales.

JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Mar Mon 07, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Disgaea was pretty darn popular...but never the less:

Have you seen La Pucelle, Phantom Brave, Kessen I, II, and III, Front Mission 4, P.T.O. IV?

Those are just a few other sRPGs and strategy games that might have slipped under your radar...of course they are all PS2 Smile
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Mar Mon 07, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVGFanatic wrote:
I thought Disgaea was pretty darn popular...but never the less:

Have you seen La Pucelle, Phantom Brave, Kessen I, II, and III, Front Mission 4, P.T.O. IV?

Those are just a few other sRPGs and strategy games that might have slipped under your radar...of course they are all PS2 Smile

Ah, how can I forget Kessen (Only played Kessen I), I have La Pucelle (Though I'm only on the 3rd or 4th Ch). Razz

I still can't find a copy of PTO IV and I haven't gotten around to playing Front Mission 4. Mad

Disgaea was a hit, but at first it was slow...Then all of a sudden they had to re-release it because it was in ridiculously high demand. I got a copy in between the two releases. Resale value used for Disgaea was still $50 at the GameStop I frequent the demand was/is so high. Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: