Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

They should have English"asized" the name.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arkanian

PostPosted: Apr Wed 20, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether my story is atypical of most people who found this game, but I first heard of it on a TV review, then had a heck of a time remembering the name when I went looking for it stores (took a long time to find a store that carried it too, btw.) It's a great game -- and I'm all for preserving the fact that it is a port of a game released in Japan. But if a name is hard to remember, how many people are going to go to the trouble to look for it?

I kept at it because I thought it sounded interesting (and was well rewarded), but niche market or not, I think not having some kind of English name at the beginning is a barrier (even if in the ideal world, we paid more attention, remembered better, and were more multiculturally fluent) Very Happy I remembered the name by the time I found it, so at least I was spared the embarassment of asking a clerk for 'Dai somethingorother'
DeviousPENGUIN

PostPosted: Apr Thu 21, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what I did and he knew what I was talking about.
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr Thu 21, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definetly hear you guys on this. It is an interesting point and one that may come up again. Names are important in games for several reasons, and if someone cant pronounce or remember the name, it makes it hard to buy (and hard for it to be successful!). I am just glad to see the enthusiasm for the game that we have at the forums, it is great to see. Keep the thoughts coming guys and gals, I read all I can. Twisted Evil
tyrannical

PostPosted: Apr Thu 21, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they just called it "Modern Millitary Tactics: Dai Senryaku VII" by just reversing the names around it would make all the difference.

You could go into a store and ask for Modern Millitary Tactics.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Sun 24, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyrannical wrote:
If they just called it "Modern Millitary Tactics: Dai Senryaku VII" by just reversing the names around it would make all the difference.

You could go into a store and ask for Modern Millitary Tactics.

You can do that now though and it works. Ask for it that way and the clerk adds in the Dai Senryaku VII when they look it up on their computer. For me at seems, this is how I've found certain games.

Though I agree that a title can make a difference in sales, I don't think that it makes all that much of one. (Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, Katamari Damacy (sp?) are examples of non-english type names that are big hits.)

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MidnightGreen

PostPosted: Jun Tue 14, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree I completly stumbled upon this game. I own a PS2 and Xbox and I played Iron Storm for a couple days years back but never bought the Saturn and missed the game. Then just by dumb luck I found this game on the web and when I went to EB games I didnt know how to pronounce it and called it Modern Military Tactics. They looked at me like I was a retard (no offense) then I said it had a picture of a tank on it, still clueless. After 20 minutes I finally found it. The lady at the counter said she couldnt find it in the system and when I said it started with a "D" it pulled all games up. It would be easier if it was titles Modern Military Tactics because I want the game to do well in the US as I would love to see them bring a WW2 TBS game like Iron Storm to the Xbox or PS2
bryon Springer

PostPosted: Oct Sat 08, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I think it is pronounced "die sin rye ah coo". I nice long discustion thread on how to pronounce it (before adoug gets here) would kind of porve my point.

Calling it "Modern Millitary Tactics:Dai Senryaku VII" Would still keep the "interesting" name as a subtitle, but the main name would be a descriptive English one. WHen games are listed as coming soon, or order now, or in reviews it would be primarily listed as "modern millitary tactics" and not Dai Senryaku.

The name hai senryku is japanese that translates to " Great Stratagy"
and since the games deals with greatas in huge) strategies that keep a battle going for 9 hours n free mode i think it is a very desciptive name. plus the name is what made me give the box a second look which resulted in me spending my last 10.00 till next payday on it. ( got it in a used bin at hastings back in sept.) their loss my gain
bryon springer

PostPosted: Oct Sat 08, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correction. i was close but quite off. the name actually tanslates "GRand strategy" not great as i had said. however even more fittin as it is very grand strategy
DanielRuoss

PostPosted: Oct Sat 08, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your hard-core strategy gamers the name doesn't seem to matter much. We'll play anything that plays well regardless of title. I would like to see them keep the Dai Senryaku name somewhere in the title to acknowledge it's origins and relation to the larger series. However as a marketing issue for the US the name could be better in order to grab those A.D.D. web and shelf browsers. Nothing cheesy I would hope. I liked the suggestion of emphasizing 'Modern Military Tactics' over the 'Dai Sen' title. I bought the game at a GameStop while replacing a well used controller. What jumped out at me was both the Japanese language characters and the battle tanks. More so the battle tanks. I flipped the box over and bought it on the spot! It was a great price and was exactly the kind of game I'd been looking for for years on a console.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Sat 08, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielRuoss wrote:
For your hard-core strategy gamers the name doesn't seem to matter much. We'll play anything that plays well regardless of title.

Yeah, that usually sums it up. Laughing

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MADHATTER

PostPosted: Oct Mon 10, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught MY eye
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Mon 10, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MADHATTER wrote:
Caught MY eye

Yeah, I would say the same. In actuality, I was surprised (no offense Doug) that it showed up in Game Informer and even got a decent review (8 out of 10). I tend to trust the GI Staff's reviews as they are generally about what I personally review games at and I'm almost always at least going to give an 8 or better a look if it's a title that I don't know much about. Cool

Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Tue 11, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having visited Game Informer with Dai Sen, they were kind enough to give us the review, but getting reviews is really quite easy to do. It is positive reviews that can be a challenge. Twisted Evil

I also personally like Game Informer, one of my favs... Twisted Evil
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Tue 11, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adoug wrote:
Having visited Game Informer with Dai Sen, they were kind enough to give us the review, but getting reviews is really quite easy to do. It is positive reviews that can be a challenge. Twisted Evil

I also personally like Game Informer, one of my favs... Twisted Evil

Interesting, I was always curious how they chose to review one title over another and why some got smaller snippets even though they might carry a higher rating.

Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Tue 11, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The review set up is strictly (I believe) up to the editor. We just went to visit them as a PR/Marketing trip, along with several other magazines at the time. How much space they deligate is up to them. Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: