Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap wins.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you won a mission this way?
Yes.
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Yes, but I didn't like it.
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
No, haven't tried.
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
No, it's almost like cheating.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Mar Tue 15, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Cheap wins. Reply with quote

Is it just the AI on Easy Setting, or is it really that easy to pull off a cheap win via the following strat.

Units:
- Transport Helo
- Special Forces (Pack 2)
- Transport Helo

The Strategy:
Fly wide and fast to the enemy Capitol. Remember, take the route the AI is NOT using, otherwise your choppers will die. Once there, land close enough to the Capitol that your Special Forces can capture the Capitol (3 hexes). Attack the lone AA Gun with 2-3 of the Special Forces with AT Missles. use the 4th to capture the capitol.....

The problem is, does the AI even make an attempt at higher AI settings to avoid this? I've won a few desperate missions in Free Play this way, but it's so...wrong.

Comments?

The only way I can see to avoid this is to simply NOT to do this, but technically, you could assault the AI's capitol with other units as long as it didn't detect them coming. I would think that since the Capitol is the main objective, the AI would make a higher priority to defend it.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton

Last edited by SemperFi2382 on Apr Thu 14, 2005 11:47 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Iron Giant

PostPosted: Mar Mon 21, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried that tactic over the weekend, its does seem a bit unbalanced. On the other hand, this game is hard, even on the easiest settings, and I haven't tried it on the higher settings.

I've been trying the Triangle Map for a while and couldn't seem to win, until I used this tactic against 2 of the 3 enemies..
Dagger

PostPosted: Mar Fri 25, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience in trying this against a human opponent? I foresee some human battles in the future, and both of us are aware of this strategy...

I guess the success of this tactic depends on the map being played, but it really makes me want to reevaluate how many units I leave guarding the capitol. I haven't had much of a problem keeping the AI away from my capitol (usually just infantry on the capitol with a couple of tanks/artillary patrolling the surrounding area), but against an aggressive human opponent capable of deception this could be a problem. It's fairly cheap to produce a wave of these, and if just two or three of them manage to land within moving distance of your capitol (with decent health), you're hosed. Mad

I suppose the answer is to maintain powerful air support within a decent radius around the capitol, in order to damage as many of these transports as possible, before they get within striking distance.

I don't know...I don't want to consider this an unfair strategy, so I would like to know of a cost-effective solution to put these transports in their place! Anyone have any ideas?
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Mar Tue 29, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dagger wrote:
Anyone have any experience in trying this against a human opponent? I foresee some human battles in the future, and both of us are aware of this strategy...

I guess the success of this tactic depends on the map being played, but it really makes me want to reevaluate how many units I leave guarding the capitol. I haven't had much of a problem keeping the AI away from my capitol (usually just infantry on the capitol with a couple of tanks/artillary patrolling the surrounding area), but against an aggressive human opponent capable of deception this could be a problem. It's fairly cheap to produce a wave of these, and if just two or three of them manage to land within moving distance of your capitol (with decent health), you're hosed. Mad

I suppose the answer is to maintain powerful air support within a decent radius around the capitol, in order to damage as many of these transports as possible, before they get within striking distance.

I don't know...I don't want to consider this an unfair strategy, so I would like to know of a cost-effective solution to put these transports in their place! Anyone have any ideas?

An AWACS-type unit (or a recon plane/unit) combined with an interceptor or 2 is a fairly decent defense. Couple that with a few static SAMs such as a Patriot and you've got an effective deterrent. Mostly because this strategy relies on stealth and speed. With that much early warning and pro-active defense, you're opponent will think twice about allowing his troops to get massacred.

As for a heavy push, such as Long range missles with an air drop and/or amphibious landing, will be a tough nut to crack when your opponent is single minded in his objective. Use this to your advantage though, with all the resources dedicated to a hard back door assault, his front is likely softer and vulnerable to an full attack.

In either case, heavy recon combined with a good pro-active defense is an excellent deterrent for this type of attack for all but the most gutsy opponents.

Worse comes to worse...use their own tactic against them. Twisted Evil

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kab the Mentat

PostPosted: Mar Thu 31, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: YEAH BABY Reply with quote

Yeah, I've done this against the AI and a human. It was kinda funny on both accounts. My brother and I decided to make our own map. He was Germany and I was Israel (his general was named Gen. Beer Stein and mine was the Hebrew Hammer...stupid stuff we do, I know). Anyway, he was full on gearing up for total war. I took off with a couple of helos and some Special Forces. About 15 minutes later he was kinda surprised to see a lone Israeli and a Merkeva standing between him and my capital. He offs them and thinks it's a clear ride to Tel Aviv...but next turn I land and basically go Rainbow Six on his capital. Needless to say he wasn't amused.

But talk about lessons learned the hard way. He no longer leaves his capital naked and now stocks it with AA units. Which helps me still because that's time and money he's gotta waste on Commando-proofing his capital. SUCKA!
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar Thu 31, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hebrew Hammer...Gen Beer Stien...lol...glad to hear your having fun...and that your brother learned not to leave his capital unprotected! Twisted Evil
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Fri 01, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adoug wrote:
Hebrew Hammer...Gen Beer Stien...lol...glad to hear your having fun...and that your brother learned not to leave his capital unprotected! Twisted Evil

Doug, any comments on this strategy?

Iron Giant

PostPosted: Apr Fri 01, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see this working against the AI, and I can see it working against a human player once, but all you'd have to do for real cheap money is put an Infantry on your capital (or some high defence unit) and then a couple of cheap artillery.

For that matter, for just 700 credits you could surround your capital with 7 infantry. Thats cheaper than the 2 helicopters and 4 Special forces they are defending against, no? I don't think 4 special forces will get through 7 Infantry...
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Sat 02, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Giant wrote:
I can see this working against the AI, and I can see it working against a human player once, but all you'd have to do for real cheap money is put an Infantry on your capital (or some high defence unit) and then a couple of cheap artillery.

For that matter, for just 700 credits you could surround your capital with 7 infantry. Thats cheaper than the 2 helicopters and 4 Special forces they are defending against, no? I don't think 4 special forces will get through 7 Infantry...

But the fact of the matter is that you can move, land, attack and capture the city in one turn. That's long before you could buy the infantry.

Leaving the infantry on the spots around your capitol takes away valuable production slots and is more dangerous in that manner.

I can have my Spec Ops team sneaking in the whole time I'm conducting a major land offensive. That sort of delay in constructive production could cost you the war. I'd win regardless.

Not trying to argue your point, but simply blocking the path isn't a real solution to this threat. Wink

tyrannical

PostPosted: Apr Sun 03, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all you have to do is destroy the unit ON the capital and land a transport copter on a free space next to the capital. I think an infantry can exit and enter the capital regardless of what else is around him.
Or it might be there needs to be a free space next to the capital to land, and the two spaces next to that needs to be free.
Kab the Mentat

PostPosted: Apr Sun 03, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: SUCKA! Part II Reply with quote

Did it again against a human player. Funny thing was I told him exactly what I was going to do. The only hitch was that I sent a fleet of Merkivas on a suicide mission to rattle his cage...so he thought I was telling him stories and was just trying to trick him into guarding his capital against helicopters and Mossad agents.

I've tried to do this tactic with other countries and it usually ends in my utter defeat if I didn't bother making a back up force and play the map as a conventional game. Oddly enough (or not), when I used the French it ended in a bloody disaster. I think the moral of the story is that this tactic works pretty well when you're the Israelis or US.

Ice, cold KILLAAAH!

Oh P.S. Thank the ever loving God for whoever decided to put mortars on Merks. They are some handy pieces of death machines.
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr Sun 03, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper Fi...About the strategy:

Although sometimes quick, it is a decent strategy (especially against humans, since it is an AI weakness when fighting the computer), which I have only used a few times. Afterall, the goal is to win. I was once in a battle where the enemy was sending fully loaded transport ships across a narrow channel...and I would send them to the bottom of the ocean everytime with a sub. I basically strangled the enemy because he eventually ran out of money...or recieved less and less. The point is, that the computer kept sending the ships to there death (although it did send out some sub killer airplanes evenutally) when it should have used an alternate strategy. I guess it is what it is. Wink
Adoug Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Apr Sun 03, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you can move through the enemy's zone of controls all you have to do is destroy the unit on the capital, and this stratedgy works for all the armies if the transports are supportted with attack choppers correctly. I have used it alot against the AI with every nationallity except china.
Iron Giant

PostPosted: Apr Mon 04, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

But the fact of the matter is that you can move, land, attack and capture the city in one turn. That's long before you could buy the infantry.

Leaving the infantry on the spots around your capitol takes away valuable production slots and is more dangerous in that manner.

I can have my Spec Ops team sneaking in the whole time I'm conducting a major land offensive. That sort of delay in constructive production could cost you the war. I'd win regardless.

Not trying to argue your point, but simply blocking the path isn't a real solution to this threat. Wink

Hmmmm. Well, I can't speak from experience since I don't have anyone to play against in multi, but I meant couldn't you (on turn 4 or 5) surround your capital in advance of their attack? I've noticed that the game uses Zone of Control rules so maybe you don't even need every hex covered, just every other hex. That would mean you would have to destroy the unit on the capital and at least one other infantry to get past his zoc?

Now I'm interested... I'll have to set this up on my own tonight and play both sides so I can see what works....

Why do you pick the Special Forces, btw? Wouldn't Infantry do the same job for less cash?
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Thu 07, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Giant wrote:
Quote:

Hmmmm. Well, I can't speak from experience since I don't have anyone to play against in multi, but I meant couldn't you (on turn 4 or 5) surround your capital in advance of their attack? I've noticed that the game uses Zone of Control rules so maybe you don't even need every hex covered, just every other hex. That would mean you would have to destroy the unit on the capital and at least one other infantry to get past his zoc?

Now I'm interested... I'll have to set this up on my own tonight and play both sides so I can see what works....

Why do you pick the Special Forces, btw? Wouldn't Infantry do the same job for less cash?

The Spec Ops tend to be more lethal in some regards and more resillient to counter attacks. Maybe this is just my perception, but when I have to use infantry, I like to use Spec Ops. (The other reason is simply because I can use them for paratrooper missions later on and they can be dropped from a higher altitude than Paratroopers.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: