Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"unknown"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsdalen

PostPosted: Mar Wed 23, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: "unknown" Reply with quote

Wink pls explain the Unknown units, and is there a way to turn them off?
DeviousPENGUIN

PostPosted: Mar Thu 24, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are probably artillery hitting your units from out of sight of your units. If your guys are getting shot from beyond the scan range of your units it will say unknown instead of PLZ- 45 or whatever is shotting you.
Iron Giant

PostPosted: Mar Thu 24, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are valid enemy units, but listed as "unknown" because you don't have any scout units included with your force and your unit getting hit can't see them.

Its important to look at the radar range of your units. You should always include one unit with a nice long range of sight or the enemy will pound you and be listed as "unknown" and you will not be able to make good tactical judgements due to your lack of information...

There are some cheap scout jeeps, but I prefer to find a nice helicopter with long scouting range, if they are available. There are also some planes with long range radar, but I'm not big on the jets..
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Mar Thu 24, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the recon planes personally. At High Altitude, they are much harder to hit with SAMs (Only the larger batteries such as the patriot have a capability to shoot that high.) and the only other real threat is other aircraft. They can loiter around for quite some time provided you don't move them all that often to their max range.

If fuel or money is an issue or you don't have an airfield close by under your control to refuel at, Recon units like the Humvee are excellent scouts. The downside is that they are vulnerable and not very durable.

The other option is recon helos. Some like the USA's Kiowa are even equipped with AGM-114 Hellfire Missles (Pack 1) for some heavy hitting power should you require it in a pinch. (I like to use them as arty hunters when the front grinds to a halt.)

Regardless, recon units in any form you choose is essential to success on the battlefield. (Much like in real life. I can count a few times where recon saved my hide.) A good quote comes to mind:

"If you can see it, you can hit it and if you can hit it, you can kill it." Twisted Evil

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mar Fri 25, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great. Thank you all, helps abunch...
DoubleTap

PostPosted: Mar Tue 29, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFi2382 wrote:
I can count a few times where recon saved my hide.) A good quote comes to mind:

"If you can see it, you can hit it and if you can hit it, you can kill it." Twisted Evil

Couldn't agree more, Semper Fi. I love how this game makes recon unit's very important. Recon humvees are cheap, which is nice, but I'm a big fan of Bradley calvalry fighting vehicles (the do a prety good job of taking care of themselves) and Kiowas (those Hellfire's come in handy).

One thing I like to do on large maps (where the computer likes to send assault helos on end runs to your undefended cities away from the front) is to take one or two recon humvees and place them in some of the vulnerable cities on the AI's likely avenue of approach, with a truck mounted infantry unit to respond to any enemy assault helos that do show up.

Of course, if you can afford and E-3 AWACs, life gets a little easier as far as airborne threats are concerned.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Mar Tue 29, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
SemperFi2382 wrote:
I can count a few times where recon saved my hide.) A good quote comes to mind:

Couldn't agree more, Semper Fi. I love how this game makes recon unit's very important. Recon humvees are cheap, which is nice, but I'm a big fan of Bradley calvalry fighting vehicles (the do a prety good job of taking care of themselves) and Kiowas (those Hellfire's come in handy).

One thing I like to do on large maps (where the computer likes to send assault helos on end runs to your undefended cities away from the front) is to take one or two recon humvees and place them in some of the vulnerable cities on the AI's likely avenue of approach, with a truck mounted infantry unit to respond to any enemy assault helos that do show up.

Of course, if you can afford and E-3 AWACs, life gets a little easier as far as airborne threats are concerned.

Heh, I was referring to my "real life" hide. Cool

On topic, yeah the AEW units are a great help when it comes to those pesky helos, though the range is much more suited for MAir and HAir for spotting.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DoubleTap

PostPosted: Mar Wed 30, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFi2382 wrote:

Hell, that's even better, then. Sorry I missed your point entirely!
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Mar Wed 30, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
SemperFi2382 wrote:

Hell, that's even better, then. Sorry I missed your point entirely!

Laughing Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: