Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amphibious assaults

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indierockclimber

PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Amphibious assaults Reply with quote

Can you only deploy units out of a transport ship at a port?

If so, explain to me the usefulness of an assault ship? It costs 4 times as much, and can carry less... but it can move 1 additional hex and has a crappy weapon. Can you not just pull up to the beach and unload stuff? That would be awesome. I tried with a regular transport, but saw that you can't.
cleveland

PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assault ships can unload units in "Shallows" terrain, that's the almost white sea hex that ground units can traverse.

I'm disappointed that the UK (which I like to use) doesn't have one of these. What happened to the Royal Navy of yore?
indierockclimber

PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh that is awesome! thanks
irashunal

PostPosted: Aug Sun 07, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: assault ships Reply with quote

Actually, the only places that you can offload with an assault ship are the shallows with a border around them - you'll see them on the maps at certain points on the shorelines.

One of the advantages of the assault ship is that it can deploy and resupply a chopper which can be really handy. It can also move and fire against targets - including air (heli). I use these babies to monitor my coastal waters from enemy assault heli's.

The russian assault ship Ivan? has a multihex rocket attack that can be used from three hexes out (which doesn't save you from enemy artillery but definately softens the shoreline for whatever you're about to drop).

Overall assault ships are good investments unless you're facing an enemy that has navy in the water. Then you may be in trouble. But the AI generally doesn't put navy out it seems so buy them and have fun!
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Mon 08, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: assault ships Reply with quote

irashunal wrote:
Actually, the only places that you can offload with an assault ship are the shallows with a border around them - you'll see them on the maps at certain points on the shorelines.

One of the advantages of the assault ship is that it can deploy and resupply a chopper which can be really handy. It can also move and fire against targets - including air (heli). I use these babies to monitor my coastal waters from enemy assault heli's.

The russian assault ship Ivan? has a multihex rocket attack that can be used from three hexes out (which doesn't save you from enemy artillery but definately softens the shoreline for whatever you're about to drop).

Overall assault ships are good investments unless you're facing an enemy that has navy in the water. Then you may be in trouble. But the AI generally doesn't put navy out it seems so buy them and have fun!

Lol, if you're playing as the Ruskies and using the Navy, you don't have to worry much about an enemy naval battle. Even thier carrier has more Anti-Ship missles than many of full fleged warships of some of the other nations. By the way, the Lun Class Assault Ships are really nice for quick raids by sea.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
irashunal

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: the Lun! Reply with quote

Yeah, i forgot about that one. The one they call Sea Monster, right? That thing has a tremendous range. I can reinforce my ranks faster with two of those than i can with any air transport. Too bad they don't have defense against anything but air though.

I guess it doesn't matter if you can outrun anything in the game!
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Wed 10, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: the Lun! Reply with quote

irashunal wrote:
Yeah, i forgot about that one. The one they call Sea Monster, right? That thing has a tremendous range. I can reinforce my ranks faster with two of those than i can with any air transport. Too bad they don't have defense against anything but air though.

I guess it doesn't matter if you can outrun anything in the game!

Yeah, that's the mission (Sea Monster) that unlocks them. They are great for blockade running against screening units if you need supplies in a pinch. Just make sure you've got enough fuel to get back! Laughing

Once or twice I've had them dead in the water because I was pushing them to the max while running past a screen of Gazelles. Cool

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
irashunal

PostPosted: Aug Sat 13, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: assualt ships Reply with quote

Check out my 08/13/05 post in the topic on Assault Heli Scourge of Mankind... I've outlined a couple of amphib scenarios using the assault ships but with a twist. Not using the ground units carried by the assault ship in the normal manner.

Let me know if you like the strategy.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Sat 13, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: assualt ships Reply with quote

irashunal wrote:
Check out my 08/13/05 post in the topic on Assault Heli Scourge of Mankind... I've outlined a couple of amphib scenarios using the assault ships but with a twist. Not using the ground units carried by the assault ship in the normal manner.

Let me know if you like the strategy.

It's interesting and I like it. It's almost similar to how a US Marine Amphibious Assault takes place. Cool

However, since I'm a jarhead, I still have to go with the way my Corp does the job. Twisted Evil

Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug Sun 14, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once a Marine, always a Marine.

The Few, The Proud, The Brave.... Twisted Evil
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Sun 14, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adoug wrote:
Once a Marine, always a Marine.

The Few, The Proud, The Brave.... Twisted Evil

Lol, ya darn skippy.

Ooh Rah! Carry on. Cool

irashunal

PostPosted: Aug Sun 21, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Semper-curious Reply with quote

Since i went the route of Army Artillery i have been wondering - how does the Corp handle Amph landings? Other than hovercraft - which aren't in this game for some reason - i don't know of any 'by sea' scenarios that i've seen before.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Sun 21, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Semper-curious Reply with quote

irashunal wrote:
Since i went the route of Army Artillery i have been wondering - how does the Corp handle Amph landings? Other than hovercraft - which aren't in this game for some reason - i don't know of any 'by sea' scenarios that i've seen before.

I've got a thread around about how to go about doing things as the Corps would, simply because I like to play as the Corps when I play with my friends as an Ally. They play the US as Normal and I play the US using only USMC gear. Twisted Evil

orangeglacier

PostPosted: Oct Fri 28, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleveland wrote:
Assault ships can unload units in "Shallows" terrain, that's the almost white sea hex that ground units can traverse.

I'm disappointed that the UK (which I like to use) doesn't have one of these. What happened to the Royal Navy of yore?

The UK has the Albion assault ship. You just have to beat Mission 22: Golden Citadel to unlock it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: