Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some help on general tactics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert

PostPosted: May Thu 12, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Need some help on general tactics Reply with quote

I really love the game, it has all I need for entretaining\tension relase purposes, but got some questions though since I'been playing without the instruction manual:

1.- Can anyone help me with one or two hints on offensive tactics? (more than two will be apreciated though), I mean, just a couple of general ones

2.- What I'm doing for the moment about heavy tanks is to soft em with long range mobile artillery (paladins) and attack helis while my abrahams go and finish the job. I'm I doing right so far?, is there a better way that you guys know?

3.- Another thing I do (among others) is to concentrate my paladins' power on enemy recon and long range fire units first in order to let their heavy tanks unprotected, then send m3 bradley diversions in the opposite direction the attack is to be send, and last, launch a frontal assault with my abrahams against weakened and dispersed tank units (sometimes this maneuver gets me to think twice about frontal assaults)

4.- Which is the best use for abrahams type of tanks?

5. Which is the best way to proceed against big groups of heavy tanks in case I decide to launch an atack?, I have been dispersing them with M3 bradley diversions while my paladins hit them from distance so my abrahams get an easy job dealing with the columns; but still, often my forces get overrun.

I know this game is about the use of different and vaired tactics, that's the charm, ...what I need are general ideas that make me enjoy this game even more since I'm learning on the run.
smaug_the_dragon

PostPosted: May Fri 13, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your idea of taking out the recon and the long-range artillary is a good idea. Its also goo that you want to use the Paladins to soften up the tanks.

What you do want to do is use recon of your own. The Humvees are a cheap alternative. If you want to really mess up the enemies plans behind his lines, use the F-18 recon plane. I fly him at High Altitude to evade most of the small mobile SAM units. If I have an ATACMS long-rage rocket system, I can hit the enemy units that would otherwise be out of the emmediate viewing range of my ground units. I don't know if you've noticed, but you can sometimes attack units in your immediate viewing range only to be counterattacked by a greater force from an area clouded by fog of war.

When I decide where and whn to move my units and what units to attack, I look at their movement value and their detection range. If your enemy has a strong presence and no recon, you can do more things to them. Most units that aren't recon only have a detection range of two hexes, most ground recon is 5. Without that added visibility, you can go around and flank your enemies attacking force. If he probes directly into your unit when it is his turn, you get an initial surprise attack, where you can fire but his unit cannot. It's a good advantage to have.

Also, pay attention to your cities you control and his. Factories are big money makers, and although cities are not worth too much, they add up. Further, if you park your units on a city, they automatically regenerate your depleted units. Note that the enemy is seding the units you're shooting up back behind the front to his cities. This is where ground attack aircraft like A-10s or AH-64s are very useful. Thanks for reading the dissertation, have fun!
Robert

PostPosted: May Fri 13, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Another one Reply with quote

Hey...that was a fast reply..I appreciate

Thanks a lot for the hints, I have some other questions though, abusing of your generosity

1.- What do you mean by "mess up the enemies plans behind his lines"?..I mean, I know exactly what you are saying, but..can you give me a couple of concrete examples?...wich is the best tactic to mess his plans in this game?

2.- If you happen to be in front of a big bunch of enemies and your plan demands an advance/take/hold into their position..what do you do?

a) You form and hold a line in front of the enemy and confront him untill his or your forces vanish (in case his and your forces are more or less equal)

b) You step back to a safe position (away from his movement/fire range) and then you try to disperse his forces with diversions attacking him in isolated groups like guerilla style warfare until you either finish him or make him retreat.

c) You forget about the advance and try to figure another plan

2.- Considering the last quiestion, in case you decide yourself for an indirect attack (option b)..wich is teh best way to perform it?, I mean..which is the best way to balance abrahams, paladins and attack helis in order to perform a succesful indirect aproach?

This game is so great that I even enjoy asking about it, I hope you also enjoy answering questions about it.

Thanks in advance
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: May Fri 13, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use a little of option A and B.

Don't neglect Bombers and attack planes! They are a great way to soften up targets especially in the case you presented.

As for "messing with his plans", the best way to do this is attack his supply and indirect attack units. Follow that up with killing off his capture capable units and his advance will be useless. The best method besides using attack planes and bombers is to "hop-scotch" ATACs as you advance (providing you have adequate recon to fully utilize the range) and hit hard with Abrams and attack helos. Use your mobile artillery (Paladins and MLRSs) to further soften the enemy before you attack with your tanks.

More often than not, opening a second front (when the option and resources are available) is another way to hurt the enemy. Either they divert to attack that front, or they can conduct a "hammer and anvil" attack. A bolder move is to simply move into the enemies heart and decimate their rear which usually forces a retreat from the front and/or simply causes their momentum to "dry up".

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ROBERT

PostPosted: May Fri 13, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man....thank you guys a lot...

that is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for ...now I know I came to the right place

we'll keep in touch
DeviousPENGUIN

PostPosted: May Sat 14, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to never ever rush out units. The best plan is to look at the map at the beginning of the game and decide on which group of facilities and in which direction you will meet the enemy and plan accorddingly. By that I mean plan on having a combined arms task force of air and ground forces. Myself I usually have 10-12 tanks 3-4 arty 5 attack choppers 2-3 recon 2-3 ifv and 3-4 aircraft. The armor soaks up the initial enemy atacks and screens my ifv's and arty which I use to systematically destroy his arty and antiair units swicthing towards his armor after their destruction. Meanwhile my armor is engaging his armor and recon units with the recon being the primary target. Make sure to concentrate your fire on units, using three armor units to destrot one of theirs and the same goes for your other units. My choppers I use to counter enemy choppers and the same is true with my aircraft. Remember to pull units back for repair when they have 6-7 subunits left, otherwise you run the risk of them being destroyed. Finally it is the consenses of opinion that 1 "S" ranked unit is equal to several "E" ranks which is why I recommend pulling back damaged units when they only have 6-7 subunits left as you want to have not only superior numbers but quality units also. The game rewards players that preserve their forces. Finally you have to be willing to give ground if you see that your forces aren't going to be able to hold their current position. Shortening your supply lines in order to regroup your forces is a nessecery and benefichial tactic as the enemy won't be able to repair his damaged units until he has captured the cities you have departed from. Also set your defensive and offensive lines around cities as they allow for resupply and repair.

Sorry it's so long I got carried away, you probably figured this stuff out already.
DoubleTap

PostPosted: May Sat 14, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See? That's why I love this game. Smaug, Semper Fi and Penguin are all spot on in their advice. The only variation I have is that I tend to rely a little more on air power than I do on armor- I'll take an extra attack helo, fighter bomber, and air superiority fighter instead of 3 tanks. More expensive, yes, but I find air supremacy or, to a lesser extent, air superiority to be the quickest way to a guaranteed win.

Especially when playing against the Russians, the air war frequently starts off vicious and stays that way for a while. Playing as the US helps, of course (A-10s soak up damage like a sponge, and although they have kind of short legs, they can take a load of hurt and still deliver their payload effectively), but the British and Japanese air forces are fun if employed effectively, as well -plus, I always had a soft spot for the Phantom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: