Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost my first game last night.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Giant

PostPosted: Apr Mon 11, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Lost my first game last night. Reply with quote

Free play map. 3 sided map with a factory in the middle.

China (me)
France (iirc)
Germany.

I took the factory and held it for a little while and built up a Chinese bomber fleet. Then I made a bee line for the French capital and took it, bombing him out of my way.

But by then I didn't have the strength to hold off those *bleep* Leopards! Holy crapola. Pretty soon I was trying in vain to flood the middle of the map with cheap Chinese tanks who were eaten up by the Leopards. By the end of the game, I was sending waves of E rated Chinese tanks up against A and S rated Leopards. The bombers did a good job of stemming the tide, until the Germans starting sending fighters to take them down...

Since the Chinese have no transport helicopter, I coulndn't even send some infantry behind his lines to take his capital. I tried using paratroopers with a transport plane, but its not the same. You can't land and take citys in one turn, so his Leopards and fighters just chewed up my planes and paratroopers.

I got to around turn 60 and fought him off, but just realized that it was all over and gave up.

So at least in my game, Germany is safe from Communism Smile
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr Mon 11, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Leopards are mean huh?! I like those bad boys. Sounds like it was quite the battle. I hope it was fun even though you gave in. "Da statue of liberty es kaput!" (german propaganda from Saving Private Ryan) I like to say that when I am the Germans in Battlefield when I am online, trying to convert the enemies! Some laugh, some join, and some get a tank shell in the face. Twisted Evil
cleveland

PostPosted: Apr Mon 11, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting murdered in my current free play game. Wandering Straits I think it's called. I'm France and the computer is Russia. Those Russian assault helicopters are everywhere forcing me to run hither and yon putting put fires while AI tanks and artillery pound my front. I'm only on turn 30 and it's pretty much over. I also let two Jaguar bombers run out of fuel and crash before they even had a chance to engage in combat. Napoleon I ain't.
Iron Giant

PostPosted: Apr Tue 12, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, played that map again and won as Russia. This time I used transport helicoptors and infantry to disrupt enemy resource production behind their lines. Eventually, instead of 4 or 5 Leopards, I was only seeing 1 or 2 while they had to chase me around behind the front....

PostPosted: Apr Tue 12, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leopards are ridiculously over powered. They remind me of the Neo-Tanks in Advanced Wars II
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Wed 13, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
The leopards are ridiculously over powered. They remind me of the Neo-Tanks in Advanced Wars II

Do I think they Leopards are ridiculously overpowered, no. However, in terms of comparing them to Neo-Tanks I agree. Why? The simple fact that a similar strategy is used to beat them. That strategy?

Overwhelming forces. Throw 4 tanks to kill their one, rain artillery, call in close air support and bomb them to bits. Think of the German Tigers in WWII compared to the US Shermans. The average ratio was 4:1 (Shermans:Tigers) in terms of kills. Want more modern? Think of the US M1A2 Abrams vs the Soviet designed armor in Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom. I find that certain countries have to use tactics that are suited for their nation. Likewise, certain countries are more suited for going one on one with units. In this manner, it makes the game more realistic and unlike Advance Wars, you don't have the advantage of the same units all the time. (CO abilities aside)

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr Thu 14, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper...I remember the Abrams SLAUGHTERING those Soviet tanks. I saw a show about the tank wars in Desert Storm on History Channel and it was pretty cool (for the US anyway)...definetly one sided. Twisted Evil
DoubleTap

PostPosted: Apr Thu 14, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Germans have a long, storied history of building some of (if not THE) best tanks in the world. The WW2 Tiger, as Semper Fi pointed out, is a perfect example. Panthers, too. If the Germans had had enough recources to make more of those things, it would've been extrememly bad news.

I had a buddy who had an M-1 platoon in Desert Storm. He had a couple of cool stories. Apparently, at extreme distances, camels (which often travel in groups of 3 or 4) have approximately the same infra-red signature as a T-72. I don't think there are any records of exactly how many camels were vaporized before somebody figured that out.

Also, the M-1 could aquire and accurately target enemy tanks at night from something close to 3 miles away. There'd be Iraqi tank comanders, sitting with their tank company parked at some base in the desert, and suddenly his tanks would start exploding. The M-1's firing from so far away, the Iraqis couldn't even hear the M-1's firing until the rounds had already hit.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Thu 14, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
Also, the M-1 could aquire and accurately target enemy tanks at night from something close to 3 miles away. There'd be Iraqi tank comanders, sitting with their tank company parked at some base in the desert, and suddenly his tanks would start exploding. The M-1's firing from so far away, the Iraqis couldn't even hear the M-1's firing until the rounds had already hit.

Aside from that, we aren't even taking into account the allied air raids (A-10s and AH-64s to be exact) that were laying into the Iraqis.

Which brings me to the other point that in that situation (as the Iraqis), if they had air superiority, the story might have been different. Lots of Hinds, Flankers, etc in the air knocking out the helos and tanks. It could have been done, but the allies were just better.

On the other hand, take Russia or China (which use similar units, just different desigantions in some cases) which has a large base of resources (hence the low cost) to use. I've had some spectacular wins (and losses) as the Chinese and Russians against Germany, Japan and Israel using air power. Eventually, I would gain (or lose) a lot of income from facilities by controlling (or lack thereof) the skies.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DoubleTap

PostPosted: Apr Thu 14, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the T-80 came out (I think it was the T-80...), alot of Western military analysts were concerned about the improved firepower it would have, since it had an autoloader. A practical considertion they ignored was the fave that the autoloader took up so much room in the tank, the crew had to be 5'5" or shorter. Of course, in a country that big, there's no shortage of guys under 5'5", but still....

PostPosted: Apr Thu 14, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that the autoloaders used to have problems and if the soviets weren't careful it would rip off or maybe it was break crewman's arms occasionally.
bisl

PostPosted: Apr Fri 15, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
The Germans have a long, storied history of building some of (if not THE) best tanks in the world. The WW2 Tiger, as Semper Fi pointed out, is a perfect example. Panthers, too. If the Germans had had enough recources to make more of those things, it would've been extrememly bad news.

What would have also been really bad news would have been if we hadn't bombed their jet fighter production facility towards the end of the war. It turns out that Germany invented the world's first jet powered plane, which would have definitely been flying circles around us...thankfully we bombed it out of functionality. I think we have one of the planes they were making on exhibit in an aerospace museum in DC or something.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Fri 15, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another flaw in the Tigers and Panthers, was the simple fact that they wre uniquely tooled and therefore much harder to repair. It was common for the Tiger to require maintenence after only 100 hours of use!

Whereas the Shermans could be easily repaired due the parts being less scarce. That also had to do a lot with the sheer numbers of them that were being cranked out.

The fighters would have been some really bad news if they really started showing up in big numbers. The Japanese had a prototype fighter as well that would have made mince meat of our bombers and could have turned the tide of the war. (Super Subs and Atomic weapons aside)

The_Sacrament

PostPosted: Apr Mon 18, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The German planes in the later part of the war were the ME-Messhersmicht.They were created in 44 i believe,but could not be mass produced until Germany itself was full of soviet tanks and infantry.While the German airforce could still make bombing runs on Moscow in 44,there were just to many allied units,tanks,and planes.While they were gaining rescources,the germans were losing many.If the germans had the proper supply,and waited a year to invade the Soviets,they could have easily invaded mainland GB,and be ready for invasion of soviets

General Dwight D. Eisenhower
DoubleTap

PostPosted: May Mon 02, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Sacrament wrote:
The German planes in the later part of the war were the ME-Messhersmicht.They were created in 44 i believe,but could not be mass produced until Germany itself was full of soviet tanks and infantry.While the German airforce could still make bombing runs on Moscow in 44,there were just to many allied units,tanks,and planes.While they were gaining rescources,the germans were losing many.If the germans had the proper supply,and waited a year to invade the Soviets,they could have easily invaded mainland GB,and be ready for invasion of soviets

Me-240, was it? The Luftwaffe, for all it's success, did share alot of the same flaws the German Army did. Much like Semper Fi pointed out about the Tiger and Panther's extremely complex engineering (and subsequent difficult battlefield repairs), the Focke-Wulf 190 was a thoroughbred of a fighter, but a pain in the neck to keep in the air (and the landing gear was too fragile for rough fields, for instance). Plus, the Germans never built a four engine long range strategic bomber, the theory being that fewer engines per plane meant more planes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: