Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live would be awsome
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Sacrament

PostPosted: Apr Sat 16, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Live would be awsome Reply with quote

Hello,i was wondering if this game would be awsome on live.answer and tell me what would be some set backs and some advantages to it online.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Sat 16, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Live would be awsome Reply with quote

The_Sacrament wrote:
Hello,i was wondering if this game would be awsome on live.answer and tell me what would be some set backs and some advantages to it online.

It'd be okay for those die hard turn based strategy gamers like myself that can sit down for hours at a time and play a game. But the fact of the matter is that this game isn't as fast as a chess game (which has Live). Playing a hot seat game with my friend can last more than 6 hours with some turns lasting 10 minutes or more!

I think it was a good call to not include Live!, but a PBEM system would probably have been a welcome addition.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Apr Sat 16, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait...you can get a turn over with in 10 minutes playing with your friends? Damn, that's quick. Going from the beginning of one turn to the beginning of the next turn (as in turn 1 to turn 2, not blue turn to red turn, etc) can take like an hour for my friends and me. Then again, we're still learning about the stats of all the units and stuff, so that probably takes a bit of time every turn.

It's not that we mind the turns being long, but having a turn take only 10 minutes seems really speedy to me right now, hah.

Also, I think this game would be a great game to be played over email or something. Like over the course of days, perhaps. Player 1 takes his turn, somehow sends the game state to the next player, who then takes his turn, etc. Perhaps have the turns password protected so only the player playing could start the turn once it got to that point.

Multiplayer rules! I'm actually looking forward to tonight when my friends are going to come over so we can continue our game. We're playing the Thailand map, but before we knew any better we changed the countries playing on it. The blue player (me) is japan, which sucks because I have no carriers, the green player is UK, and the red player is Russia. The russian is raping the entire penninsula with backfires, and while I made a quick move to capture the cities on the peninsula in the beginning, I can't defend them or get reinforcements there fast enough to hold it.

Goddamn what a great game!
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Sat 16, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said 10 minutes per turn, I'm referring to per Army. Of course, depending on the level of combat that is occurring at the time, the AI's turns are fairly short.

As for the human players, we take about 10-15 minutes on average for several reasons.

1.) We generally have a mission plan so we know what we want to do and how we want to do it already pre-set. This makes for a fairly quicker turn because now it's combat resolution, production and execution. Only when we hit roadblocks (such as heavier than anticipated resistance) does the turns take longer as we adjust tactics and reinforce.

2.) Both of us are experienced wargamers. We play Tabletop, and turn based strategy all the time, so for the most part we know one anothers playstyles when we are allied. This makes for quick turns as we don't need to ask for every turn. (Falls kinda into part 1)

The bottom line is, some players just "play" faster than others. But in all actuality, it doesn't really matter. After all, as long as you win, does it really matter how fast it took you to get there? What do you think this is? Real Time Strategy lol. Laughing

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Apr Sat 16, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every console wargame, particularly on xbox, should have a PBM or Play By Mail system where turns are sent back and forth similar to (or using as a transport mechanism) email.

Each player is password protected, preventing the opponent from seeing your units. Daisenryaku 2001 for Dreamcast has such a mechanism utilizing the DC's built-in email facilities. Unfortunately it is daunting for the non-kanji inclined.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I'm on dialup (moving sucks, btw) so my time is limited, promises to give this thread a full read when I go back to high speed and stop tying up my phone line.

Cheers.
Og

PostPosted: Apr Sun 17, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: PBM Reply with quote

PBM would be GREAT!
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Sun 17, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVGFanatic wrote:
Every console wargame, particularly on xbox, should have a PBM or Play By Mail system where turns are sent back and forth similar to (or using as a transport mechanism) email.

Each player is password protected, preventing the opponent from seeing your units. Daisenryaku 2001 for Dreamcast has such a mechanism utilizing the DC's built-in email facilities. Unfortunately it is daunting for the non-kanji inclined.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I'm on dialup (moving sucks, btw) so my time is limited, promises to give this thread a full read when I go back to high speed and stop tying up my phone line.

Cheers.

As I mentioned before, PBEM would be a great addition to Dai Senryaku VII.

The_Sacrament

PostPosted: Apr Sun 17, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm PBM would probably be the best suited in a game like this for the length of turns etc.
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr Mon 18, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVG...Dial Up?! Get with the times man! Kidding kidding. Live and turn by mail were all discussed, but just not in the plans due to several reasons. All good ideas for the future though! Thanks for the thoughts.
Twisted Evil
The_Sacrament

PostPosted: Apr Mon 18, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could have made a very interesting PBM system for x box live.They would have to make a special box for it on the dashboard on live though i suppose.

General Dwight D. Eisenhower
bisl

PostPosted: Apr Mon 18, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pay $50 for DS7 with this fancy PBM functionality. I absolutely love this game, but the lack of recon being an element for multiplayer games is saddening. My friends and I have just resorted to ensuring a level playing field by allowing each other to watch everyone's turns, and that's fine for the time being, but recon is supposed to be a big element of the game and I miss it!
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr Tue 19, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why dont you and your friends just turn around and look away during each others turns? It isnt so difficult. Have a gameboy to play or a PSP so you can switch off during someones turn on Dai sen! Twisted Evil
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Tue 19, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adoug wrote:
Why dont you and your friends just turn around and look away during each others turns? It isnt so difficult. Have a gameboy to play or a PSP so you can switch off during someones turn on Dai sen! Twisted Evil

Lol, Doug.

My buddy usually just surfs the web from his laptop when it's not his turn. Though, sometimes he misses what's going on even when he is looking. I think it's because I move the map all over the place when I play and it's easy to get disoriented.

HeadwoundHarry

PostPosted: Apr Thu 21, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Live support would be great! The fact that it takes several hours to play means nothing - who hasn't sat down to a Live session that didn't last many hours? Razz

Also, wouldn't it be cool to be able to upload custom maps? This is a feature that is starting to come out in some Live games.
bisl

PostPosted: Apr Thu 21, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, that map idea is killer. I find myself playing only the maps with a lot of water because I like involving land sea and air, and that leaves me with relatively few to choose from given how many maps were released.

Being able to easily try other people's maps would be great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: