Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for Semper Fi...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoubleTap

PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Question for Semper Fi... Reply with quote

If you were going to play a scenario as a MEF, what units would you use? What are the Marines doing for armor these days? I know you'd have LAVs, Harriers, Cobras, Humvees, and all the infantry units, but what else? Fill in the blanks for me, bro.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Question for Semper Fi... Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
If you were going to play a scenario as a MEF, what units would you use? What are the Marines doing for armor these days? I know you'd have LAVs, Harriers, Cobras, Humvees, and all the infantry units, but what else? Fill in the blanks for me, bro.

Mwahaha, my expertise and personal experience is being summoned. Twisted Evil

I'll break it down as best I can. These are USMC only, meaning that unless you want to throw in the Navy as MEUs are supported by Carrier Battle Groups on occasion (Naval gunfire, USMC units stationed on a carrier, support ships, etc) and some Air Force (AWACS and KC-135 Stratotankers). As the list stands though, it's all USMC.

Air:

Assault Helos
- None

Attack Helos
- AH-1 Super Cobra

Transport Helos
- MV-22 Osprey (Yes, it's classified as a helo)
- CH-46 Chinook (aka Grunt Bus)

Jets
- AV-8B Harrier II
- F/A-18 Hornet (All variants, though Recon I'm sketchy on)

Land:

Recon
- LAV-25
- Recon HMMWV

Anti-Air
- LAV-AD
- Avenger Anti-Air System (That's the HMMWV SAM unit)

Main Battle Tanks
- M1A1 Abrams
- M1A2 Abrams

Artillery (Towed)
- 155mm Towed Howitzers

Artillery (Self-Propelled)
- The USMC has no Self Propelled Howitzers (aka M109 Paladins)
- The USMC has no MLRS (aka no MLRS and ATACMS)

Not specific units though I'll name them anyway
- Infantry (Equivalent to standard Marine Infantry)
- Special Forces (Equivalent of Marine Force Recon)

These are obvious but...
- Transport Truck (Generic unit I know, but it's equal to our 2 1/2 Ton)
- Supply Truck (aka Dragon Wagon)

Sea:

Landing Ships
- San Antonio Class
- Wasp Class

Obvious, but...
- Supply Ship

If I see one I missed I'll update the list.

NOTE: For the record, you CAN win in a default setting scenario using USMC only. It ramps up the difficulty (at least in some maps) and shows why we are "elite". (Lol, had to get my jab in.) Twisted Evil

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton

Last edited by SemperFi2382 on Apr Tue 26, 2005 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DoubleTap

PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're fast. I was just coming back to edit my post, because I'd just remembered the F-18. Does the USMC still have any M-60 MBTs or M-113s in service?

And thanks for the info, Semper Fi.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
You're fast. I was just coming back to edit my post, because I'd just remembered the F-18. Does the USMC still have any M-60 MBTs or M-113s in service?

And thanks for the info, Semper Fi.

I believe the last of the M-60 MBTs are no longer in service (I never saw any on base or on exercises). Same goes for the M113 APCs, I don't see those anymore either. We now have the AAV-7 which is an amphibious APC armed with a 40mm machinegun and .50 cal machingun on a turret.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFi2382 wrote:
We now have the AAV-7 which is an amphibious APC armed with a 40mm machinegun and .50 cal machingun on a turret.

Which I really wish was in the game. Simply because it would make river crossings much simpler. Also simply because I'm such a stickler for detail. (After all, Russia has a number of APCs)

DoubleTap

PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unit editor in VIII please, ADoug!
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEIN!...actually I dont know how to spell it in German... Twisted Evil
DoubleTap

PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, ya! How about downloadable units then, mien herr?
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I like the idea for customizable units... and several other suggestions... Twisted Evil
indierockclimber

PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't like a unit editor. That would allow you to offset certain countries weaknesses by just making the units they lack. My $.02!
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Tue 26, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
Ya, ya! How about downloadable units then, mien herr?

Downloadable would be great. All the units that are missing can be filled in. Heck, you could even possibly add in countries that aren't in the game that you'd like to see. (Taiwan vs China anyone?)

In a far off way, the downloadable content could technically turn into a WWII conversion if you made all the units for it. (And had my next idea as well)

I wouldn't like a custom unit editor, however, I'd like to see a more robust scenario editor (So I can turn certain units on/off, etc).

indierockclimber

PostPosted: Apr Wed 27, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that, downloadable units would be cool, and a better scenario editor would be awesome.

The only reason I think a unit editor wouldn't be cool is because anything an army is lacking (which usually means they are strong somewhere else) they can just build. Germany with an aircraft carrier?

a WWII conversion (or hell even if the next one was totally WWII) would be sweeeet.

Are there plans for a next one at this point? I sure as hell hope so.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Wed 27, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indierockclimber wrote:
I agree with that, downloadable units would be cool, and a better scenario editor would be awesome.

The only reason I think a unit editor wouldn't be cool is because anything an army is lacking (which usually means they are strong somewhere else) they can just build. Germany with an aircraft carrier?

a WWII conversion (or hell even if the next one was totally WWII) would be sweeeet.

Are there plans for a next one at this point? I sure as hell hope so.

There already is a version of Dai Senryaku that is all WWII. It was the previous installment and looks pretty good. Sadly, it never was brought over from Japan. *coughTakeAHintKemcocough*. PM JVGFanatic about that one, they have a copy and was playing it last I checked.

I agree with giving a country a unit that they would normally lack would upset the game. However, I'd just suggest not downloading it lol. Regardless, I'd like to see the features I listed so that I could (if I had the time) make a WWII conversion OR make a Modern Warfare version depending on what the next one was based on. Twisted Evil

...Else I might have to develop my own game faster. Which, considering that it's hard to get a company of develop (let alone publish) a game suggested by a programmer, that might take awhile. I'm sure Doug would agree. Twisted Evil

indierockclimber

PostPosted: Apr Wed 27, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What language do you primarily program in?

I'm a java developer!
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Wed 27, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indierockclimber wrote:
What language do you primarily program in?

I'm a java developer!

I program primarily in C++

I know enough HTML and UNIX to get me into trouble. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: