Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for Semper Fi...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoubleTap

PostPosted: Apr Wed 27, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way- tried a Marine-only game last night, against the Russians on Okinawa. What a meatgrinder. Not having mobile artillery is an interesting conundrum, and I buckled and requisitioned 2 Navy F-14 squadrons, in addition to the 2 Ticos and the Burke-class I have offshore.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Wed 27, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
By the way- tried a Marine-only game last night, against the Russians on Okinawa. What a meatgrinder. Not having mobile artillery is an interesting conundrum, and I buckled and requisitioned 2 Navy F-14 squadrons, in addition to the 2 Ticos and the Burke-class I have offshore.

Yeah, on certain maps playing as a Marine Expeditionary Force is very difficult. It really requires a certain type of strategy.

Lol, why didn't you grab some F/A-18s instead of F-14s? As for the naval warships, well I'm sure you'll get better at it after a few tries. After all, I am a jarhead and am more familiar with the USMC "order of battle".

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tyrannical

PostPosted: Apr Wed 27, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the units / weapons are in very simple config files. It would be very easy to create your own or change a unit's stats. No new graphics, but you could pick what unit's graphic represents your new / changed one.
Of course you'd need a modded xbox
DoubleTap

PostPosted: Apr Wed 27, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFi2382 wrote:
Lol, why didn't you grab some F/A-18s instead of F-14s?

Started with 2 squadrons of Super Hornets. They didn't fare too well against all the Flankers, so I figured a couple of Pheonix-capable platforms would help. AND ANOTHER THING- why can't you load Super Hornets with guided bombs? Does this make sense?
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Wed 27, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
SemperFi2382 wrote:
Lol, why didn't you grab some F/A-18s instead of F-14s?

Started with 2 squadrons of Super Hornets. They didn't fare too well against all the Flankers, so I figured a couple of Pheonix-capable platforms would help. AND ANOTHER THING- why can't you load Super Hornets with guided bombs? Does this make sense?

That's bizarre.

As for the Flankers, well they are a pain in the rear no matter what units you use to fight them with. Evil or Very Mad

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Apr Thu 28, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only read the first page of this topic...apologies...still unpacking here and spending lots of time with my son and thus aren't able to post much these days. Just wanted to mention that Sentou Country Kai: New Operations (the same series as Air Land Battle), a Japanese PS2 game, lets you mix and match units from various countries to form your own country. It's rather fun and interesting.

One of the Daisenryakus for the Saturn allows for possible unit creation (I think, I didn't get a chance to translate this section of the game fully).

I wouldn't mind a unit editor, one can use it responsibily or not...

The one real downfall of console based strategy games is their lack of expandabiliity (and usually editability). Thankfully with expanded storage devices this may change as consoles get closer to PCs in their functionality.
JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Apr Thu 28, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops, that would be me Smile

ps: picked up Stella Deus last night (Atlus' latest sRPG). Had my party wiped out on the third battle. I hope it really is this challenging and I'm not just missing something simple, lol.
Ogmios

PostPosted: Apr Fri 29, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Osprey Reply with quote

Quote:
MV-22 Osprey (Yes, it's classified as a helo)

You mean you would actually ride in one of those death traps?
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Apr Fri 29, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Osprey Reply with quote

Ogmios wrote:
Quote:
MV-22 Osprey (Yes, it's classified as a helo)

You mean you would actually ride in one of those death traps?

It's not any more unsafe than any other helo in a combat zone. Not to mention that it's still being tested which means that there are still bugs to be worked out.

But, regardless, I'd hop a ride in one. Twisted Evil

DoubleTap

PostPosted: May Mon 02, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SemperFi2382"]
DoubleTap wrote:
As for the naval warships, well I'm sure you'll get better at it after a few tries.

Hey! I grabbed the Navy tin cans for fun, and for the sake of the scenario. Actually, I was wondering how many more Cobras, Harriers, and knife-wielding Jarheads I could've bought with what I spent on my Okinawa Yacht Club.

Besides, my old man was a Squid. CVN Enterprise, '65-'67.

I find myself wishing for a map of the Philippines, too. That's where the Corps got the nickname "Leathernecks", from what I've heard.

Last edited by DoubleTap on May Mon 02, 2005 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: May Mon 02, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DoubleTap"]
SemperFi2382 wrote:
DoubleTap wrote:
As for the naval warships, well I'm sure you'll get better at it after a few tries.

Hey! I grabbed the Navy tin cans for fun, and for the sake of the scenario. Actually, I was wondering how many more Cobras, Harriers, and knife-wielding Jarheads I could've bought with what I spent on the my Okinawa Yacht Club.

Besides, my old man was a Squid. CVN Enterprise, '65-'67.

I find myself wishing for a map of the Philippines, too. That's where the Corps got the nickname "Leathernecks", from what I've heard.

Actually, the tidbit about the nickname "Leatherneck" is incorrect.

The term "Leatherneck" came from a leather collar that Marines used to wear a leather collar to protect the Marine's neck from saber slashes and keep their head upright (thus preventing them from falling alseep due to how uncomfortable it was).

NOTE: I don't have anything against the Squids, just that once you get so far away from the water, they aren't as useful. Save for the cruise missles and Carrier based support aircraft. Wink

DoubleTap

PostPosted: May Mon 02, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFi2382 wrote:

The term "Leatherneck" came from a leather collar that Marines used to wear a leather collar to protect the Marine's neck from saber slashes and keep their head upright (thus preventing them from falling alseep due to how uncomfortable it was).

Right- I heard the same thing about the collars... but I heard the collars were introduced when the Marines fought in the Philippines in the early 1900's. The Filippinos are, by most standards, the best knife fighters in the world. Also, their 'knives' often consist of short swords or machetes. The Filippino guerillas would get hopped up on drugs, and charge out of the brush to attack the Marines. Hence, the leather collars.

Also, this is where the need for the Colt M1911A1 came about. The Springfield rifles used by the Marines were great, but not so great in teh jungle. Also, the high velocity rifle round would often tear right through a drugged-crazed, machete-wielding Filippino guerilla without immediately stopping him. He might die from the rifle wound eventually, but he might be able to reach the Marine if shot by a Springfield.

Hence, the .45 ACP and the Colt. Pretty much any hit with one of those will bring the recipient to an immediate and violent halt, to put it mildly. The tables were turned a bit during WW2, when the Filippino Scouts worked with US personel during and after the Japanese Occupation to wage a vicious guerilla campaign against the Japanese.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: May Mon 02, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
Right - I heard the same thing about the collars... but I heard the collars were introduced when the Marines fought in the Philippines in the early 1900's. The Filippinos are, by most standards, the best knife fighters in the world. Also, their 'knives' often consist of short swords or machetes. The Filippino guerillas would get hopped up on drugs, and charge out of the brush to attack the Marines. Hence, the leather collars.

The following material is from: http://www.grunts.net/usmc/usmclore.html, web site for Marine Corps lore of all sorts.

It is questionable whether the origin of the term "Leatherneck" can be accepted as a legitimate member of the family of legends. More like a tradition, it is. For there can be no doubt of the origin, considering that U. S. Marines of three generations wore leather collars. It is as obvious as the nickname "Red" for a recruit with carrot-colored hair and freckles.

Now accepted by Webster as a synonym for Marine, the term "Leatherneck" was derived from a leather stock once worn around the neck by both American and British Marines--and soldiers also. Beginning in 1798, "one stock of black leather and clasp" was issued to each U. S. Marine annually.
This stiff leather collar, fastened by two buckles at the back, measured nearly three and a half inches high, and it prevented the neck movement necessary for sighting along a barrel. It supposedly improved military bearing, by forcing the chin high, although General George F. Elliott, recalling its use after the Civil War, said it made the wearers appear "like geese looking for rain."

The stock was dropped as an article of Marine uniform in 1872, after surviving through the uniform changes of 1833, 1839, and 1859. But by then it was a part of American vocabulary, a word preserved, like so many words, beyond its original meaning.

DoubleTap

PostPosted: May Mon 02, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Good find, Semper Fi. I'll bet some of those Leathernecks wished for those collars in the Philippines. Kinda hot in the jungle, though.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: May Mon 02, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
Wow! Good find, Semper Fi. I'll bet some of those Leathernecks wished for those collars in the Philippines. Kinda hot in the jungle, though.

Heh, it's fun knowing USMC history. It's just harder to find a reliable source online for facts. Laughing

Yeah, I don't think I'd want a collar in the Jungle. Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: