Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saved Units

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: May Tue 03, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Saved Units Reply with quote

I think I found a way that saved units are suppose to be used.

I can't remember the exact name of the map I think it was inverted Japan, but there were 3 CPUs. Red and Yellow where allied and Green was by themself. The max units were 50 and cities were very scarce, so when going after an enemy capitol, running out of fuel and ammo with tanks was very easy to do since you had to have 2 lines and reinforcements too long to get to the front lines and repairing in cities took a unit out of the line for 3 turns or more.

How I played the map was to build my 2 lines as quickly as possible, and in a handfull of turns I had maxed out on units and had 2 offensive lines. One to guarding the entrance to my base and make sure Green did not get to close and the other to attack yellow. While attacking yellow I started to lose the line because reinforcements where taking too long to get there and fuel and ammo where always in a short supply. So what I did was to place some S ranked Apaches and S ranked A-10s I had saved. I had a ton of funds since for many rounds I rarely spent any funds because I was maxed and just advanced my army capturing factories and a few cities. Once my S ranked units reached my front lines they just mowed over the units, since their hitting percentage was so much higher than the other units.

The S units single handedly pushed my line to there capitol and turn the battle into a 3 vs 3. After that the game was a little easier, but just about lost a line when Green rushed me with a massive force, but my S units held them back long enough to get reinforcements.

Not sure if anyone else has tried that, but after that game I just don't see the saved units as clean up units any more, because 1 or 2 S ranked units can turn a battle around quickly when used efficiently.
indierockclimber

PostPosted: May Tue 03, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S ranked A-10s are AMAZING.

are S-ranked bombers worth it? The b-1 already has a 99% chance to hit... can it get better?
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: May Tue 03, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to disagree, using your saved units on the defensive is not a good idea. Well, they are a little better, but not by much. The thing is that the AI will "focus fire" the higher ranked units, which may be what attributed to your success. However, why spend twice the cash for cannon fodder?

Personally, higher ranked units are best used as "shock troops" on the offensive and allow the lower ranked to mop up (thus gaining rank) and defend against the counter attack.

NOTE: Not to be mean, but this topic already exists. Rolling Eyes

EDIT: http://www.kemcogames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1125

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: May Tue 03, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will respond to the last 2 questions.

S-ranked bombers actually are better, than E ranked. The game I mentioned I ended up having 2 S ranked bombers at the end. However the difference is not as noticable to other units.

None taken SemperFi2382, but here is some back.

In my post I didn't say that I used them as defense, I used them as offensive weapons to allow my banged up line to push to the capital allowing me to capture it before they had a chance to over run my line. I do agree that S units are not made for defense, and will stick by my guns that I would rather have one S ranked unit than 2 E ranked units in the following cases: on offense assuming, have the funds to burn, and close to maxing out my unit total.

Also if you read the posts on the topic you include most of the talk is about 2 things. The first being that the saved S units are worthless until you have the game in hand. Secondly the rest of the post just mention that thier hitting percentage increase as they level up, and some misc posts about what units may shoot farther at S level. I guess I didn't see anything about how people actually use them before the game is in hand. Laughing
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: May Wed 04, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Lol, I see your point. It is true that only several units are obviously better when S-ranked. Those are primarily artillery and air units. I've noticed that while not necessarily better on the attack 100% of the time, fighters are much harder to kill off as they level up.

Yeah, except for S-ranked air units I tend to hold off on the land units until I'm ready to make that first heavy punch into the enemies front lines. I'd have to say though that 15 of the 20 units are usually S-ranked air units though. So, S-ranked or higher ranked land units usually aren't doing the gruntwork. Cool

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: