Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ideas about USA ATACMS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROBERT

PostPosted: May Thu 19, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: ideas about USA ATACMS Reply with quote

I didn't notice about ATACMS till I began accesing this forum (thanks SF, DP, DT and all you guys)...I mean I ve been aware of them since always (as they've never locked), but not of their superb capabilities. I' been calling them my "line breakers" and relying on those tough MFs (even neglecting fire support) to make things much easier.

Sometimes (mostly when I see the enemy on chicken run after a bombardment) I get to think that the use of a bunch of those is like cheating, or spoiling, but then I think of them, as JVGFanatic said on his FAQ, as "Exploits" as I keep saying to myself: "a warrior takes wise advantage of every resource available"; is just that things get a lot easier keeping those handy.
ROBERT

PostPosted: May Thu 19, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

errata

On the text posted below, at the end of the second line must read "air" support, not "fire" support as posted.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On higher difficuly levels (Normal, Hard) and maps with choke points, the ATACMS are excellent for defensive operations. Especially if you are facing multiple enemies.

For me, the whole use behind the ATACMS are containment. Contain the enemy and allow for minimal strong armored defensive units. Once I go on the offensive, it makes for breaking through such choke points easier as well because I'm not slugging it out for each hex. (Maps like four kingdoms for example when trying to attack/defend against the nation in the mountains.)

Not to mention that War is all about exploiting the weaknesses of your enemy.

On the flip side, I've seen a reliance on them cause a massive failure to an army. My friend didn't postion his correctly and they were erradicated quickly. Due to the high cost of the ATACMS, he would have been unable to rebuild enough units to fend off the attacks in time. So, while they are good units, they are pricey to build and rearm. Not to mention vulnerable and unable to defend themselves at all.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DanielRuoss

PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFi is right about the ATACMS being exceptional at defense. Position them correctly at a choke point and watch with glee as the enemy marches into a very deadly trap! Twisted Evil He is especially spot on about the dangers of relying on them too much. I've had situations where I've been so concerned about having an ATACMS line that I neglect the threat of helicopters and other air attacks. The enemy sends in a couple of attack helicopters and the ATACMS get used up pretty quick. This leaves you in a desperate situation as the enemy's armored columns slam into you untouched. All too often this situation is impossible to recover from. So while the ATACMS is an exceptional weapon the real key to victory is balance. If you have a balanced force you're more flexible and can exploit enemy mistakes/failures quickly.
DoubleTap

PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever used more than 2 ATACMS in a scenario. I like to roll my armor up to engage the enemy's advance, and use an ATACMS inconjunction with a recon helo to pulverize the enemy art'y behind their lines.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
I don't think I've ever used more than 2 ATACMS in a scenario. I like to roll my armor up to engage the enemy's advance, and use an ATACMS inconjunction with a recon helo to pulverize the enemy art'y behind their lines.

I tend to use 4 at a time. 2 are rolling and 2 deployed so I always have coverage on the move. Unless I'm in a 2 front war and then 2 are on each front.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DoubleTap

PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One supply unit for each 2 ATACMS?
ROBERT

PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a key or paramter to evaluate if an army is well balanced in a given situation?

For "army balance" I understand the variety between ground/air/naval forces in proportion with the enemy ones, I mean... not to have too many of the same type of units, but a pre-planned mixture of all in order to be able (at a given time) to send combined attacks against the enemy, or to adapt your forces to succesfully face an enemy attack as well.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
One supply unit for each 2 ATACMS?

Yes, 1 Supply Truck for every 2 ATACMS.

Unless I cannot camp the supply truck on a city. Then I have 2 Supply trucks running a relay between cities to keep my ATACMS supplied.

DanielRuoss

PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the only parameter for army balance is if you're winning. Success needs no justification. Army balance depends foremost on what your strategy is for a given scenario. For instance in some scenarios I totally disregard the naval aspect and use air units to attack the enemy's capital. But just because I'm not using a navy the computer might be. So I use ground based aircraft with anti-ship missiles to ward off any amphibious attacks. When I think of balance I think of trying to make sure my army isn't vulnerable to multiple attacks. Whether they be naval, air, or ground.
Manikese

PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a good balance is 6 M1A2 Abrams, 6 Arti Tow 155mms, 18 Apaches, 6 A10 Thunderbolts (pack 2), and 2 Strike Eagles with AAMRAMs. And of course some support and capture vehicles/troops. Can we say boom shaka lacka?

(in other words, more air support than actual ground units)

side note: Starwars Episode 3 rocks!
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROBERT wrote:
is there a key or paramter to evaluate if an army is well balanced in a given situation?

For "army balance" I understand the variety between ground/air/naval forces in proportion with the enemy ones, I mean... not to have too many of the same type of units, but a pre-planned mixture of all in order to be able (at a given time) to send combined attacks against the enemy, or to adapt your forces to succesfully face an enemy attack as well.

I believe the key is a good ratio based on mission type, terrain and funds.

The first goal is determine how your armor, artillery and air support stack up against your opponents. If you have superior armor, then you need maybe a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio. If you have Move+Fire Capable artillery, you need less because you don't need to "hopscotch" artillery pieces and sacrifice long range coverage. If your air units are longer range and carry good weapons, then you can build less, better quality units. If your good on funds, try building the units that are more durable/better fuel/more ammo.

On the flip side, if your the weaker army, build cheap units. Swarm them wand overload their supplies. A superior tank is useless without ammo.

On average my unit configurations look like this:
- 4 to 8 Aircraft, usually mixed in type and role (Though I tend to build half AtG and AtA)
- 6 Supply trucks dispersed among the front and artillery pieces.
- 8 to 12 tanks depending on terrain type and how I stack up against the enemy armor
- 4 Helos working in pairs
- 6 to 9 artillery pieces (more if not mobile or Move+Fire)
- 5 free slots to adjust or last minute needs (like a helo close to capitol)
- 2 to 4 Naval units (if naval map)
- 4 recon units. (2 per front or "danger zone")

Except for the 5 "just in case". The rest are to taste as per production country. Also, the leeway is to adjust if your the weaker army. Like Chinese tanks versus German ones. Twisted Evil

DoubleTap

PostPosted: May Sat 21, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about capture capable units, SF? Are they included in your helo force?

I always have a few groundpounders, for capture/defense/tenacious D.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: May Sat 21, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTap wrote:
What about capture capable units, SF? Are they included in your helo force?

I always have a few groundpounders, for capture/defense/tenacious D.

I prefer paratroopers/special forces as they can "paradrop", capture and hold key cities until my forces arrive.

Though sometimes capture capable helos are great as many carry anti-tank missles for use in a pinch.

Basically, the capture capable units would fall under the personal preference units. Simply because of two factors. One, your own preference and playstyle and secondly it depends on the maps terrain type.

But here's an idea of what I have for capturing generally.

- 2 transports with special forces or paratroopers
- 1 or 2 capture capable helos (Unless I'm playing USMC only. Then it's just the transport helos.)

- * OR * -

- 4 capture capable helos (operating in pairs)

tyrannical

PostPosted: Jul Sat 16, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triangle island. 12 ATCMS
Over 10,000 enemy sub-units destroyed. I lost under 500.

Suuuuure I could have been faster. But ATACMS are fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: