Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turn Based Strategy: Armchair Generals Unite!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> General Gaming Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Tue 18, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVGFanatic wrote:
Shattered Union - Another XBox turn based stratey title? You've gotta be joking. It's true. Another game I hope does not suck.

Which released today. You can find the news snippet here

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Oct Tue 18, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFi2382 wrote:
JVGFanatic wrote:
Shattered Union - Another XBox turn based stratey title? You've gotta be joking. It's true. Another game I hope does not suck.

Which released today. You can find the news snippet here

Or at least a dumbed down press release Smile
DanielRuoss

PostPosted: Oct Tue 18, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got it today. Will let you know what I think after I check it out more. So far, so good though. Certainly not the plethora of units in DS VII but then its scope is limited to certain American, EU, and Russian units.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Tue 18, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielRuoss wrote:
Just got it today. Will let you know what I think after I check it out more. So far, so good though. Certainly not the plethora of units in DS VII but then its scope is limited to certain American, EU, and Russian units.

Keep us informed. I'm certainly wanting to know if I need to pick this one up. Although, I'm sure I will regardless. Laughing

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Oct Thu 20, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - Played a bunch of this late at night over the past two days. I'm up to Chapter 8 and loving every step of it. The challenge is up there with the first GBA game. The gameplay is spot-on Fire Emblem all the way.

I'm not one to complain about graphics but I feel Nintendo (Intelligent Systems) really cheaped out on these. They are simple--I'd expect them to be so given Fire Emblem's heritage--but they are definitely not "current gen" in their simplicity. I'd expect better details on the models, flashier environs, and higher res 2D art but alas it feels very much like a Dreamcast game.

This isn't really a bad thing if the game plays good and it does play good, very good. I'm enjoying it despite the somewhat lame graphics. The music is good as well. A very, very enjoyable little SRPG but that's what we've come to expect from Fire Emblem.

I am hoping that later chapters wow me with the cool maps and what-not but even if not, as long as the play stays consistent, I'll be happy.

My SU was sent from CA via First Class mail today so it should be here Saturday. Whee Smile
JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Oct Thu 27, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in response to jojoPumpkin's post at

http://www.kemcogames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7456#7456

I recently made the console to PC leap in strategy gaming. The last time I played anything this complex was in the early 80s...and I dare say I never played anything as complex as the PC games we have nowadays.

A really FUN strategy game that I found is Spartan (and it's "sister" game Gates of Troy). You can find these for digital download at www.matrixgames.com (they are 19.95 each, I believe).

There is a demo there, give it a try. I found it had a satisfactory amount of depth while also allowing the player to have some fun. I've not yet been overwhelmed by the AI but I've stuck to the simpler battles. Gates of Troy adds a real "scenario" feel to the game with historical events really swaying the tide of the battle.

Anyway, I sound like an advert, but I do like both of them. Could I recommend one over the other? Each has benefits. Gates of Troy is fewer scenarios but they have more depth and are larger in scope. Spartan has more scenarios but the scenarios are (despite being fun to play) flatter.

One of the really great things about PC gaming is the fact that the games are often driven by text files, many of them documented or at least easily parsed and thus the games themselves can be modified.

I've not played any of the Total War series but I've heard enough talk about them to set me off trying them any time soon.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Fri 28, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVGFanatic wrote:
I've not played any of the Total War series but I've heard enough talk about them to set me off trying them any time soon.

I've played the Total War Series and I enjoyed them to a good extent. The Turn Based portions reminded me a little bit of Risk meshed with Command & Conquer. Essentially, you build buildings to do certain things or make specific troop types, drop your armies into territories to move or attack, conduct assassinations, spy and conduct espionage.

The Real Time Battles were amusing because you can use real tactics and terrain to your advantage. Attacking in the rain is bad for archers, don't charge uphill, long battles are hard if you don't keep fresh troops in reserve, etc.

I liked the Shogun and Medieval iterations over Rome, but that's because they deviated from the Risk like gameplay during the Turn Based portions and the battles, although tactics are still viable, still plays a tad more on the arcade side it seems.

JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Oct Fri 28, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh goody, more talk about Total War >_
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Fri 28, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVGFanatic wrote:
Oh goody, more talk about Total War >_

Lol, just getting my 2 cents in. Laughing

OFF TOPIC

BTW, JVG you're avatar is broken.

ROBERT

PostPosted: Oct Fri 28, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SemperFi2382"]
Anonymous wrote:
The AI is a tad more predictable, but in many ways it's much better than DS:VII. Cool

Well, I´ve spend some hours with AW and it´s been a lot of fun, great game for sure. However, I don´t think AW can beat DSVII.

Maybe there´s something I´m missing
Rolling Eyes
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Fri 28, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROBERT wrote:
SemperFi2382 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
The AI is a tad more predictable, but in many ways it's much better than DS:VII. Cool

Well, I´ve spend some hours with AW and it´s been a lot of fun, great game for sure. However, I don´t think AW can beat DSVII.

Maybe there´s something I´m missing
Rolling Eyes

Perhaps, I like the simple rock, paper and scissors style the game has. Might does make right in this game, but I've won a few scenarios using real tactics and a few cunning moves that the AI wasn't counting on. Laughing

MySonsFanatic

PostPosted: Oct Fri 28, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: New toys Reply with quote

Hi, y'all know who this is...anyway, here's some recent acquisitions:

Nintendo DS - Doesn't really provide the strategy gamer with much more than owning a GBA but there are a few titles out there to make note of.

Advance Wars Dual Strike - My first NDS game and it takes almost no advantage of the touch screen (though you can use it if you want) which is a good thing cause I don't have screen protectors yet. Anyway, it does utilize the two screens in a really cool way though I haven't played it extensively enough to know how it all balances out yet. I do not know if they've fixed fog of war for the AI yet. The interface is streamlined and excellent in true AW fashion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> General Gaming Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: