Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Madagascar Marauders - anyone played it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smaug_the_dragon

PostPosted: Aug Mon 22, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Madagascar Marauders - anyone played it? Reply with quote

With default settings, I find this map to be the most challenging I have played so far. It's misleading to put this map into the Captain Rank, it could easily be higher ranked. The real challenge is that if you're France, you are far removed from the battlefield, and yet you have to aid Germany before he gets swallowed by UK and Israel. On the 3rd try, I think I have it right, at least through turn 20. I send wave after wave of transport helos with special forces to specifically target factories. They put out 200/turn, and if UK controls more than two of these for longer than two turns it's over. If he takes one back I have a small force somewhere else to take the other one he previously took back but later left unguarded. While that see-saw is going on, I build up a transport and eight units to send to help Germany. So far, one has landed, is still alive and two more are on the way.

Anybody else experienced this pain? What have you done that's worked? Thanks.
ElricJC

PostPosted: Aug Mon 22, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Annoying Reply with quote

Yeah, I've played this scenario before, it's perhaps one of my least favorite scenarios because it is such an annoyance, especially being stuck with the French. Don't get me wrong, the French can be useful, but they have less logistical flexibility than some of the other powers. And with the miniscule amount of resources you are given, it is hard to get your war machine going quickly. So I came up with this simple strategy, and followed these steps to total domination.

1: Screw the Germans. If they were smart, they could resist their enemies for at least longer than 10 turns. They usually get smoked between 10-15 turns, even with aid. They are, frankly, worthless.

2: Build an aerial armada of Jaguar A Attack Jets (around 4 total), a Mirage F-1R recon jet, 1-2 Rafale D or Mirage 2000 jets, and a Stratotanker. This will take time. Meanwhile, construct some Spec Forces with all SAM weapons, a supply truck, and a couple of Rolands until you can cover the coast with things to shoot at other aircraft. Even a couple of AMX-32 MBTs are good since they have 20mm cannons to shoot down weak flyers, and take out the occassional landing infantry. Cover your facilities and don't leave gaps. After the Germans are dead your enemies will start sending in heli waves. Repulse these and they will lay off a while.

3: Once your air armada is in the air, construct a transport heli with two loads of infantry or paratroops, move them out with your air armada, edging the right side of the map (not the very far edge, but well out of the way of any air routes from the Israeli base on the southern tip of madagascar to your base. Only refuel your jets when they really need it. Keep your recon jet out ahead a few hexes to watch for anything getting in your way.

4: When you have the chance, construct a couple of SPHs, and maybe even a Rafale M or two loaded with Exocet missiles. The transport ships will be arriiving. Hit them well away from your base if possible, but protect your investments. Any losses are big losses.

5: When your whole force is within about seven hexes of the southern tip of the Israeli base, get recon data with your Mirage recon jet, zip your Jaguars in, two to a target on the unit sitting atop the base, and one adjacent to it. Choose the weakest targets (End 2 or less). With any luck, two loads of guided bombs will be sufficient to destroy the guarding units. It would be great to have 1-2 more Jaguars, but you can't always manage this given the circumstances, because sometimes the computer is retarded and only damages a couple of units with the bombs, but you have to deal with it. If this fails, the computer will react quickly and will fortify its base, but it rarely takes me more than one attempt. When the base is clear and an adjacent hex is clear, land your chopper, unload an infantry squad onto their HQ and BAM, they're done for.

6: Now you have an instantaneous injection of funds. The Brits will immediately recaptrue the facilities neareast them, so you have around 3-4 turns of high-level income. Use this wisely. Repair, reload, and regroup the armada that just took out the Israelis and send them over the water to the west. Begin constructing another Spanker Armada and start sending them over to the Brits east side, and now you should be able to construct a couple more fighters to deal with enemy Eurofighters. They WILL start making them now, in earnest. When you deploy your second trans chopper, don't stick them with the second armada. Send them north to edge the map, around 7-10 hexes away from the armada, because they will be at High air, and are immune to enemy choppers. REMEMBER, always send your armadas along at High elevation to reduce the chance of detection.

7: Ideally, you will have two armadas, one coming straight on to the Brit's east, and another hooking up from their south west. If you have the resources, send some light units via cargo plane to protect your southern assets and you can reinforce your armadas in case you experience losses. The goal is the same though - get the Jags, in, annihilate guarding forces, drop infantry, and spank the Brits. Done and done.

Good luck.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Mon 22, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice strategy. I too think the map is a bit wonky in balance, but maybe it's supposed to be that way. Though, I'm sure you "could" win as Germany if you had some superb rolls and the AI makes some really awful tactical and strategic mistakes. Laughing

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DanielRuoss

PostPosted: Aug Tue 23, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I've played this map a bunch of times using all of the players. If you go the amphibious invasion route directly across the water you may be able to save your ally. I have to agree with ElricJC though. Your German ally is pretty useless. It's best to use them as cannon fodder to keep the British busy. Once the Israelis show up they're toast.

One way I've invaded is to send my invasion force around to the Israeli base. Once the Germans fall they tend to keep their army up around the former green capital. I usally come in with 2 Foudre ships backed-up by a transport ship. Ths allows you to surround the capital quickly using the initial landing force and since I loaded 1 Foudre with a transport helo w/special forces the capital falls quickly.

Unfortunately, this force is no match to take on the British. No matter how good your units are you can't sustain an attack even when catching good breaks in the individual battles. It is however excellent to defend your southern toehold since they never send their whole force down from the former German capital.

Keep in mind they will send assault helos to your capital so an adequate defense is required. It is unwise to send all of your air force assets to the mainland.

Throughout this whole time I've kept roaming units of Horizon radar helos and transport helos w/infantry roaming around picking off cities and factories as well as looking for weaknesses in defense. This allows you build up your funds at very little cost.

The way I finally pulled off victory was to make a strike force consisting of 4 Jaguars, a refueling plane, 2 Tigers, 2 transport helos w/infantry, and 1 Horizon helo for recon. I sent Rafale fighters from my capital to the area around the former German capital to keep their Eurofighters busy. I found the safest route and pounded what was around the capital with the Jaguars and Tigers. The Eurofighters arrive too late to weaken your strike force and the transports helo infantry can take the capital.

Now some would say that this is the cheap way to win. I say no. I deploy a large force when if you want to be cheap a smaller one would suffice and you could do it much earlier and save your ally. What my startegy does is take advantage of the fact the British run up against their max unit allotment and spread out their forces all around the map instead of making concentrated attacks.

I've played as the other armies and it really isn't much fun unless you try China as the Red force or change the French to the US. I imagine that for someone who has a friend to play with it might be fun to see who can take out the Germans first. The Israelis or the British? Then you can see who is able to take out the French with airmobile tactics.
smaug_the_dragon

PostPosted: Aug Tue 23, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gather from the group that attacking Israel is a good choice. I agree, as I discovered this last night/this morning. I ussually chopper an infantry unit to the topmost factory controlled by Israel. I do it for funds and to deprive him of funds. After doing this, I sent him down towards Israel's capital. I discovered that NO ONE WAS HOME! only one artillery piece. My 3rd try at this ended up in slaughter on the beaches so I'm going at it a fourth time. I send a few air-mobile infrantry to take out the factories (if anything, they're mine for at least two turns). I'm sending my infantry to take out the factory in Israel's backyard. One turn later, I've set it up for a tiger and a chooper of two infantry towards the capitol with one more tiger on the way. I'm hoping the capture of the factory up top will thin out rhe Israelis for the sucker punch. At this time, beiong turn 7, I have aboat load of cheap second line tanks with a few mobile arty mixed in to at least draw fire from the Germans. I'm going for speed, not quality here. Last few times, I've waited too long to build up a rerspectable force and by the time it gets there, the Germans are ready to fold. In the meantime, my funds are at 1550 so I will soon have the dough to put out a trasnport en route to the Germans. This will set sail by turn 10 I think. I'll let the board know what happens here. Hopefully Israel can be knocked out before UK gets so big. That's why I sacrifice a chopper and two infantry to do it. We'll see.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Tue 23, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smaug_the_dragon wrote:
I gather from the group that attacking Israel is a good choice.

Indeed. They seem to be in a better position and the Merkavas are helluva lot more annoying than the Challengers. Not to mention that they aren't quite in a position to defend against the amphib assaults too well.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ElricJC

PostPosted: Aug Tue 23, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Amphibious assault Reply with quote

I've tried pulling off a real amphibious assault, even playing as the Americans instead of the French, and using Marine style tactics and units I tried to go to work, eventually with air force support from B-1s. A true-blue ampibious assault just isn't feasible here, you really have to be a raider - meaning high mobility shock tactics are your best bet, and going right for the jugular is a necessity. You must deploy forces by ship, whereas your enemies can produce them on the same land mass, meaning you will never be able to bring mass to bear. Consider Fuller's 9 principles of war - you can't bring mass to bear, your economy of force is hard to maintain given the tactical situation, and the logistics to support such an effort are wonky. Remember, amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics - simplify your plan, unify your command, focus mass on one point while balancing out your secondary elements as needed, but do not deprive your primary strike force, and organize your lines of supply to support your forces. This applies to all situations, not just this one, but here such balance is crucial.
irashunal

PostPosted: Aug Tue 23, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: interesting map Reply with quote

I just now loaded this map up and put all vs all.... I chose the U.S. and plan to put a full carrier, a couple of full Wasp, a couple of Zumwalt out in the ocean, and a couple of Osprey with special forces to come in after awhile to claim the spoils.

I figure i can let red and yellow sandwich green and chew each other up while i pick off enemy forces to level my group up before i go in for the kill. I can keep a stream of special forces brought into the red backfield by using the Osprey (pack to and pack 3 traveling together).

I don't know how it will turn out ... i'll let you know.

But if you had to support green you could pretty much do the same thing - posting these units along the west route and the east route to pop anything that comes along towards the green force...

But to be stuck with the French? That would be a challenge.... Why stick the French with the Germans anyway? What's up with that decision?!?
DanielRuoss

PostPosted: Aug Tue 23, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: interesting map Reply with quote

irashunal wrote:
But to be stuck with the French? That would be a challenge.... Why stick the French with the Germans anyway? What's up with that decision?!?

The French and Germans are very much in bed these days.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Tue 23, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Amphibious assault Reply with quote

ElricJC wrote:
I've tried pulling off a real amphibious assault, even playing as the Americans instead of the French, and using Marine style tactics and units I tried to go to work, eventually with air force support from B-1s. A true-blue ampibious assault just isn't feasible here, you really have to be a raider - meaning high mobility shock tactics are your best bet, and going right for the jugular is a necessity. You must deploy forces by ship, whereas your enemies can produce them on the same land mass, meaning you will never be able to bring mass to bear. Consider Fuller's 9 principles of war - you can't bring mass to bear, your economy of force is hard to maintain given the tactical situation, and the logistics to support such an effort are wonky. Remember, amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics - simplify your plan, unify your command, focus mass on one point while balancing out your secondary elements as needed, but do not deprive your primary strike force, and organize your lines of supply to support your forces. This applies to all situations, not just this one, but here such balance is crucial.

Ideally, you're better off using a Pincer movement in these type of situations. Though, don't forget that the Corps does have access to heavy fire support from the sea as well.

We may not like the squids all the time, but I'm not gonna complain when there's an Iowa Class Battleship sailing 16 inch shells into the enemy. Well, nowadays we have to settle for 5 inch shells coming from various cruisers and the such.

smaug_the_dragon

PostPosted: Aug Wed 24, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fourth time was the charm. I sat the transport chopper two hexes away from the capitol, so 1. my helo's detection range would pick up the arty unit in the capitol and 2. upon seeing it the two Tiger attack choppers could blow it away. It's so inconvenient to stumble on something and have it 'ambush' your unit even if it can't technically fire at you. Just losing the turn to fire at it stinks, hence my use of the detection ranges. The Tigers took out five subunits of arty apiece which left the capitol wide open for the infantry to walk in and take it. All done by turn 14. France's funds are at 2500, UK at 1350 and Germany at 1050. My continually sending helo-bourne infantry to take and retake his factories has paid off. It has kept his income level from reaching God-like proportions. If I am so lucky, I take my helo and infantry (assuming they have not been too shot up) have them hover away from the factory as UK is retaking the factory. As they never leave a unit to guard it, I come back and retake it. Time for another map soon.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Wed 24, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smaug_the_dragon wrote:
The fourth time was the charm. I sat the transport chopper two hexes away from the capitol, so 1. my helo's detection range would pick up the arty unit in the capitol and 2. upon seeing it the two Tiger attack choppers could blow it away. It's so inconvenient to stumble on something and have it 'ambush' your unit even if it can't technically fire at you. Just losing the turn to fire at it stinks, hence my use of the detection ranges. The Tigers took out five subunits of arty apiece which left the capitol wide open for the infantry to walk in and take it. All done by turn 14. France's funds are at 2500, UK at 1350 and Germany at 1050. My continually sending helo-bourne infantry to take and retake his factories has paid off. It has kept his income level from reaching God-like proportions. If I am so lucky, I take my helo and infantry (assuming they have not been too shot up) have them hover away from the factory as UK is retaking the factory. As they never leave a unit to guard it, I come back and retake it. Time for another map soon.

Nice.

irashunal

PostPosted: Aug Sat 27, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: team up Reply with quote

Me and a friend of mine are currently running this map. Blue is USA and i'm Yellow player using China.

He's providing air support and bombardment from a pack of Zumwalts while i mass produce tanks and special forces to march up the shore towards Green capital. Man those Leopard tanks are tough!!!

I've got my own navy out there running the shorelines against green (a bunch of Luhai) and i've just got through taking out Green capital...

Any suggestions on how we are going to get rid of RED?

The mountain ranges, while great for keeping Red off my back initially also gives him a nice defensive barrier while will force us to pick our way through alot of rough terrain to get to him.
smaug_the_dragon

PostPosted: Aug Mon 29, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Red can potentially own up to four factories, which acounts for 800/turn. Money is power; take his away. I used helos carrying infantry to take these. At worst, he without funds for one, maybe two turns. A gap in funds of 400 means that's one less tank or one less Apache he's throwin g at you. Also, make sure you put a man on the factory at the very top behind those mountaind ranges. If they expend ordinance to clean those guys off the factory, that's less ordinance directed at your main assault force.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Mon 29, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smaug_the_dragon wrote:
Quote:

Red can potentially own up to four factories, which acounts for 800/turn. Money is power; take his away. I used helos carrying infantry to take these. At worst, he without funds for one, maybe two turns. A gap in funds of 400 means that's one less tank or one less Apache he's throwin g at you. Also, make sure you put a man on the factory at the very top behind those mountaind ranges. If they expend ordinance to clean those guys off the factory, that's less ordinance directed at your main assault force.

Indeed. This is a tactic that I tend to employ on a lot of maps. It doesn't make a difference outright in some cases, but remember that he's now spending more than his income if he wants reinforcements. a few hundred here or there can make all the difference.

It's also nice because for at least a few turns, you are now getting a few extra bucks for either a better unit, or a few cheap units to press your economic advantage. Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: