Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

winter war

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smaug_the_dragon

PostPosted: Jul Mon 25, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: winter war Reply with quote

I am corrupting a friend of mine into Dai Senryaku VII, he loves this game becuase he loves those old Avalon Hill hex games. He's teaching me Squad Leader. Anyway, we've gone head to head once and teamed up three times. Kursk didn't work out, Winter War was a victory that involved a finesse move on the part of France, and Rabbit's way was a crushing defeat. I like the feature in this game that allows any country to be a player and the player to choose the default country or another of ones' choosing. When we go head to head, I decided that we play Southern Ocean and I am China. He can be Red, and thus be any country he wants. I think Japan is strong here, but he's comfortable with the USA. He sued for peace after 20 turns the first time we played, but as he gets better, I eventually will lose with China. Both Winter War and Southern Ocean showed me that you can use inferior fighting units to win if 1. you see the enemy and shoot first, 2. you do so from a range ge can not shoot back indefence that turn, 3. you do so with numerical superiority. All in all, a good weekend.
Maul

PostPosted: Jul Mon 25, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: winter war Reply with quote

smaug_the_dragon wrote:
he loves this game becuase he loves those old Avalon Hill hex games.

Old? Have you seen the new Axis & Allies games? Anyway, thats why I love this game too.

I agree, if you spot him before he spots you and get that first shot in, you have a huge edge.

Last edited by Maul on Jul Mon 25, 2005 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adoug
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul Mon 25, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good time had by all! Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Twisted Evil
JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Jul Mon 25, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squad Leader, man, what memories...
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Jul Mon 25, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: winter war Reply with quote

Maul wrote:
smaug_the_dragon wrote:
he loves this game becuase he loves those old Avalon Hill hex games.

Old? Have you seen the new Axis & Allies games? Anyway, thats why I love this game too.

I agree, if you spot him before he spots you and get that first shot in, you have a huge edge.

Not sure what you're saying when you mention the old Avalon Hill games and Axis & Allies. They are really two different types of games, though both are strategy at it's core. Not a dig at you, just curious at the point you're trying to make.

Yeah, the one who shoots first is usually the one that comes out on top.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
smaug_the_dragon

PostPosted: Jul Mon 25, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on that note, I just picked up MBT and Rise and Fall of the Third Reich off Ebay the other day. It's for a day when I want the same play but not on a television screen. I have to say I like D VII the best becuase there really aren't any messy die rolls, you just find good matchups and let your units level up.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Jul Mon 25, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smaug_the_dragon wrote:
on that note, I just picked up MBT and Rise and Fall of the Third Reich off Ebay the other day. It's for a day when I want the same play but not on a television screen. I have to say I like D VII the best becuase there really aren't any messy die rolls, you just find good matchups and let your units level up.

Yeah, sometimes clean and simple is the way to go. Cool

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Maul

PostPosted: Jul Tue 26, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avon Hill puts out the new line of Axis & Allies games. Just saying that Avalon Hill is still putting out great strat games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: