Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AEW Aircraft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmarozas

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: AEW Aircraft Reply with quote

I just did the Mission mode scenario where you have to protect the yellow tankers and you get the Nimitz.

Can someone explain how to best use my AEW planes ?

I know what the function of these are in real life, but can somebody explain to me how they work in the game ?

I see they supposedly have an insane detection range. Yet the area that lights up around the planes when they scan seems to me MUCH smaller than the 10/12 hex detection range they are supposed to have.

I know I'm missing something here...I just dont know what !

Thanks in Advance,
-Tony

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lighted area is just the ground detection range

If there were any enemy units flying within the mid/hi alt range you would be able to see them, although the ground under those the enemies will still be dark.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the detection ranges for Med and High Air is where it's true power is at. Hence why it's great to hunt out enemy AEW using NOE (Nap of the Earth aka Low Air) because you can usually get the drop on them.

Though I think only Human players deploy them, because I've never seen the AI use them.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ElricJC

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: AI Reply with quote

Quote:
Though I think only Human players deploy them, because I've never seen the AI use them.

The AI has used AWACS type aircraft against me before, almost always the Russians in my case, but only when I have a high volume of jet power in the air.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Fri 26, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: AI Reply with quote

ElricJC wrote:
Quote:

The AI has used AWACS type aircraft against me before, almost always the Russians in my case, but only when I have a high volume of jet power in the air.

Hmm, I tend to see more fighters and tankers when I go heavy on the airpower. I'll have to keep and eye out for them. I know for sure that they use jammers, so AEW couldn't be out of the question. I'm sure it's also a money thing. The AI tends to buy the better stuff when it has an absurd amount of money.

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
irashunal

PostPosted: Aug Sat 27, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: AEW saves the day Reply with quote

So, AEW is only moderately effective for detection ground troups - it's mainly for aircraft...

This unit is very helpful in saving your air units from surprise - allowing them to return fire if they are caught in the air or allowing your choppers to either avoid getting caught on the ground or air (depending on the threat). I use my AEW to track down AI assault heli early on and take them down with my navy/interceptors/attack heli...
ElricJC

PostPosted: Aug Sat 27, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: AEW Tactics Reply with quote

The few times I have used AEW aircraft was when I had to rely on air power, specifically AA power. The problem is, as SemperFi mentioned, AEW aircraft tend to be expensive.

Two tactics I have used, all American, are the "Lightning Formation" and the "Squid Launch".

My Lightning formation is a modular attack group attached to any heavy attack group to screen against enemy air units. It was composed of an AWACS plane, an F-22, three F-35Bs, and a Stratotanker. When I have the money, I double this fighter numbers and sometimes add another Stratotanker. My fighters, with Raptor on point and F-35s in a boomerang pattern behind it follow ahead of the AWACS craft by 2-3 hexes, giving them 11-12 hexes of detection range ahead of them, and the Stratotanker hangs back a few hexes behind the whole formation, sometimes halfway between a friendly airport and their current position, but never too far from the F-35s (since their fuel load is so poor).

When I have a landing force or a ground force w/attack planes, I watch for enemy fighters coming to scrub my air cover. Hopefully I can detect the enemy fighters before they arrive. The Lightning Formation descends from High altitude (or remains there if they can hit the enemy fighters and attacks the enemy fighters 2:1, or more if able, with the hope of at least driving the enemy fighters back. Destroying them is nice, but if you always play at Hard level like I do, this usually means that you have to hit one fighter unit with all your air units to have a hope of destroying them, no matter the experience level of your units. With any luck they can chases away enemy air power, and as long as I'm careful with my AWACS and my Stratotanker, my fighter/interceptor force is hard to detect. AWACS are usually only useful in spread out maps though where it takes more than a couple of rounds for enemy air power to reach you.

The Squid Launch is an expensive strategy and is only used in naval scenarios (obviously by the name). I utilize a Nimitz carrier complete with three interceptors, two Hornets configured as ship-killers, a ship-launch AEW craft, and either two sub hunting craft if I fear subs in the water, or I add more fighters. F-35s are a favorite again.

I follow this with two Wasps loaded with Harriers w/ guided weapons, and Ospreys loaded with paratroops or Spec Forces, and some heavy ground units to pave the way or hold the beach head until my San Antonios or conventional transports arrive with ground units. Sometimes, I don't even need these, if I can slip my Harriers in and pound their base, leading to a landing force on their capital. The AEW and fighters make sure the way is clear for the attack planes to safely fly in.

The AEW goes up and looks around, and I might carry an F-18 RC for low alt scouting (of course it stays at high alt), and I lead my force forward, often times, screened by a couple of frigates. The fighters regularly swarm around to keep my force from being flanked, and then when it comes time, I deploy my forces in order. Again, this tactic is rare becasue it's so dang expensive. I could just cut the Nimitz altogether and support this air force with a Stratotanker, but the attack has to be successfuly the first time out, because they will have no place to rearm.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Sat 27, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. While the Squid Launch is pricey, if that is the main method of attack, it's not overly so. A Naval fleet combined with a Marine Landing force is usually a devastating one-two punch. IF you take a capitol, the first turn I usually have my fighters repair at the newly captured airfields and then load back onto the carriers so they can begin their trip to the next destination.

However, if funding is loose and I can spend a lot more, this is usually combined with a Hammer and Anvil type maneuver that can pin the enemy in. This is epecially useful if you hit 2 armies at once. Capture the far one so that the remaining one is left inbetween your territories (the old one and the newly captured set) and then you can resupply from 2 sides while pressing into the enemy. While your forces may be divided, so are theirs, unless they are stupid and let one side have free reign, which will spell out their demise regardless. Wink

tmarozas

PostPosted: Aug Mon 29, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information !

I've finally become effective at using the detection view to make sure I'm scanning the ground, sky and deep zones !
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Aug Mon 29, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmarozas wrote:
Thanks for all the information !

I've finally become effective at using the detection view to make sure I'm scanning the ground, sky and deep zones !

Anytime.

Ooh Rah! Carry on. Cool

katana

PostPosted: Sep Fri 02, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like using AWACS with SU-27 just like Lock on (its difficult to locate enemies without them). lol i saw a weakness in the F-15 when i fought the U.S. that there low alt detection range is on 2. i just send su-27 at low alt and attack. its odd that the r-27 is better than the r-73.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Sep Fri 02, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katana wrote:
i like using AWACS with SU-27 just like Lock on (its difficult to locate enemies without them). lol i saw a weakness in the F-15 when i fought the U.S. that there low alt detection range is on 2. i just send su-27 at low alt and attack. its odd that the r-27 is better than the r-73.

Yeah, that's a particularly fun tactic. Nothing like showing up in the enemy's air space unannounced and busting the place up. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: