Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOVIET AIRPOWER - UNDERPOWERED?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irashunal

PostPosted: Sep Sun 18, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: SOVIET AIRPOWER - UNDERPOWERED? Reply with quote

As i was growing up - the end of vietnam during my elementary years and then the cold war years afterwards, my military family members used to talk about the Soviet MiGs being so difficult to shoot down. I learned to respect the MiG-27 and 29's before i even knew anything about air warfare at all. So i must say that i've been kind of surprised at how ineffective the Soviet airpower is - as far as jets go. Their bomber is a dynamic frontline flatliner but the rest of the set - interceptors on down are disappointing to say the least.

I can understand them not stacking up against some of the U.S. top machines but i generally don't have any luck against ANY enemy air force that i've went up against with the AI (even on EASY). WTF?!? Question
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Sep Mon 19, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flankers my friend, Flankers. These are the way to go. Flankers, Strike Flankers, Naval Flankers and Super Flankers (aka the "terminator) are the prime aircraft that I use for the Russians. They are fast, long legged, carry a decent load of weapons and are brutal to the enemy.

Personally, I liked Migs myself at first, but between Combat Flight Sims and various documentaries, the Flanker series has become my preferred Soviet air unit of choice. In the game, it delivers for the price I pay for them and once they hit S Rank, they are a menace because I rarely see them completely destroyed, even after being attacked 3-4 times in one round. They take a lot of hits, I fly them back, re-arm repair and then head back out. Cool

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DanielRuoss

PostPosted: Sep Mon 19, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find the Russian air units underpowered at all. When I play against American units I'm able to overwhelm with numbers since the Russian units are far cheaper. Lately I've been using 3-4 MiG-31 'Foxhounds' with the Pack 2 weapons fit. If you have an enemy that repeatedly is making incursions with air units you can set these guys up in a line with an air tanker and let the enemy come to you. The next turn you can give them a good beating and it usually forces them back.
ElricJC

PostPosted: Sep Mon 19, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Russian Air Power Reply with quote

The weapons offered in the Russian arsenal in this game is a mixed bag of old and new, and certain aircraft will be inferior. The MiGs 29 and 31 are older generation aircraft and are inferior to any modern air unit in many ways, but the Flanker series is superb and represents the current Russian main line fighter force. Their best is the Super Flanker, for all the reasons SemperFi mentioned, and the Strike Flanker and Naval Flanker are also formidable. The Chinese J-11 is actually an Su-27 Flanker copy and is also quite good, as is the Su-30MMK in the ground attack configuration.

The Russians suffer for good ground attack aircraft, besides the Backfire, but their units can find some good tactical use. The old Su-25 Frogfoot has pathetically short range but if provided with a nearby airport it can slam any approaching ground units with its load of three guided bombs, fire off its cannon at ground units or helis, and then retreat. When flying in formation with a tanker, they can also find gretaer long range utility.

Now my question is, why didn't they put the Blackjack bomber in this game? Talk about a huge, fast, powerful bomber. Biggest bomber ever built, and one of the fastest too. That would give the Russians some serious air power.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Sep Mon 19, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Russian Air Power Reply with quote

ElricJC wrote:
Now my question is, why didn't they put the Blackjack bomber in this game? Talk about a huge, fast, powerful bomber. Biggest bomber ever built, and one of the fastest too. That would give the Russians some serious air power.

Yeah, I'd have loved to see some more heavy bombers all around. Vulcans and Blackjacks for starters. Cool

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JVGFanatic

PostPosted: Sep Tue 20, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far (though I've not had any time as usual) this is one thing I love about PC strategy gaming...the ability to mod. So far I can pretty much turn any game of the batch I purchased on its ears by modifying certain files (in notepad or excel).

This goes as far in some games as map layout, alliances, unit data, etc... pretty much anything.

Of course most of these games also include editors.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Sep Wed 21, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVGFanatic wrote:
So far (though I've not had any time as usual) this is one thing I love about PC strategy gaming...the ability to mod. So far I can pretty much turn any game of the batch I purchased on its ears by modifying certain files (in notepad or excel).

This goes as far in some games as map layout, alliances, unit data, etc... pretty much anything.

Of course most of these games also include editors.

Yeah...we really need an editor. Sad

katana

PostPosted: Oct Sat 01, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always build couple of MIG-31 because of there detection range for high, medium and low.
SU-27, SU-35 and SU-33 i mostly use for combat

i wish they could put SU-30MK (or even better add India because SU-30MKI), S-37 (even though its experimental) and Mig 1.44

i really like the SU-27 because i always play Lock On (started playing a months ago) and im a flanker fan. lol
DanielRuoss

PostPosted: Oct Sat 01, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katana wrote:
i always build couple of MIG-31 because of there detection range for high, medium and low.
SU-27, SU-35 and SU-33 i mostly use for combat

i wish they could put SU-30MK (or even better add India because SU-30MKI), S-37 (even though its experimental) and Mig 1.44

i really like the SU-27 because i always play Lock On (started playing a months ago) and im a flanker fan. lol

I'm glad somebody else likes the MiG-31! When funds are tight you can put up a lot fighters real quick and gain an advantage to build up funds for those Sukhoi's!

The Chinese equipment does have the Su-30MKK available which is the same thing used by India. I disagree with having the MiG 1.44. It's stealth ability was based on an experimental gas diffusion system which would mask the aircraft. They were never able to get it to work so it was cancelled outright. The Su-37 Berkut is interesting but I assume it's a technology demonstrator like the US X-29 was. Although those forward swept wings look amazing and very futuristic!
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Sun 02, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielRuoss wrote:
The Su-37 Berkut is interesting but I assume it's a technology demonstrator like the US X-29 was. Although those forward swept wings look amazing and very futuristic!

I'd have loved to see the Su-37 Berkut as it's an amazing aircraft and one that I think would have made for a grand addition to Dai Senryaku. Twisted Evil

ElricJC

PostPosted: Oct Mon 03, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Soviet Air Future Reply with quote

I have a book on modern combat aircraft which specifically has sections on the S-37 and the MiG 1.44.

The S-37 is specifically a tech-tester, and the the Russians claim their MiG 1.44, which also uses vectored thrust reputedly and a kind of "Plasmatic Radar Deflection System", or a plasmatized coating, would make it superior to the F/A-22.

Uh, yeah, right, that'll be the day. Even if it was, what would the cost be? For us, a large amount, for the Russians though it would be crippling - they couldn't even buy their own aircraft, and the Russians have always claimed they have made better aircraft since the beginning of the Cold War, but since the whole MiG 15 vs. F-86 Sabre duels over Korea, they've never been able to prove it, especially since we developed the Eagle, which has a perfect 200-0 Kill/Loss ratio since its debut in 1974. The Russians propaganda is just a lot of hot air. Their aircraft have been good, but not the best by a long shot.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Oct Mon 03, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Soviet Air Future Reply with quote

ElricJC wrote:
I have a book on modern combat aircraft which specifically has sections on the S-37 and the MiG 1.44.

The S-37 is specifically a tech-tester, and the the Russians claim their MiG 1.44, which also uses vectored thrust reputedly and a kind of "Plasmatic Radar Deflection System", or a plasmatized coating, would make it superior to the F/A-22.

Uh, yeah, right, that'll be the day. Even if it was, what would the cost be? For us, a large amount, for the Russians though it would be crippling - they couldn't even buy their own aircraft, and the Russians have always claimed they have made better aircraft since the beginning of the Cold War, but since the whole MiG 15 vs. F-86 Sabre duels over Korea, they've never been able to prove it, especially since we developed the Eagle, which has a perfect 200-0 Kill/Loss ratio since its debut in 1974. The Russians propaganda is just a lot of hot air. Their aircraft have been good, but not the best by a long shot.

Well, you must also take into account that none of these downed aircraft were not maintained, piloted by a decent Russian pilot and equipped to fight back against the US in an evenly matched modern day equivalent of a dogfight. After all, the Iraqi Air Force didn't exactly perform even close to what the Russian Aircraft were capable of.

I will however say that the experimental aircraft aside, the Flankers are indeed phenominal aircraft that are at worst, a good match against all but the F/A-22s. Against the F/A-22s, that requires new age tactics and combat theories.

katana

PostPosted: Oct Tue 04, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Soviet Air Future Reply with quote

ElricJC wrote:

didn't you hear about the india cope 2004??
US pilots said its time to take out the raptor. lol india made the su-30mki and mirage 2000(i think) the most lethal.

US and russian pilots haven't face each other since korea.
katana

PostPosted: Oct Tue 04, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Soviet Air Future Reply with quote

[quote="SemperFi2382"]
ElricJC wrote:

I will however say that the experimental aircraft aside, the Flankers are indeed phenominal aircraft that are at worst, a good match against all but the F/A-22s. Against the F/A-22s, that requires new age tactics and combat theories.

the flankers can do the Pugachev cobra. pointing the nose up 90 degrees.
f-15 can't do that raptor can but with TVC.

its cool to see that.
DanielRuoss

PostPosted: Oct Wed 05, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Soviet Air Future Reply with quote

katana wrote:
US and russian pilots haven't face each other since korea.

Which may be true but US-trained Israeli pilots and Russian trained Egyptian/Syrian pilots have faced off. The Israelis have spanked them everytime. It must be remembered that Soviet aircraft were a byproduct of Soviet tactics. The prefered method being to use moderately capable aircraft in overwhelming numbers to defeat the more sophiscated but less numerous western aircraft. It is only since the advent of the MiG-29 and the Flanker series that the Russians have attempted to create aircraft with comparable capabilites, especially in maneuverability. The MiG-29 was made to counter the F-16 and the Su-27 to counter the F-15. In theory they have achieved this against the early versions of those respective American aircraft but later versions of the F-16, F-15 fighters are far more capable now then when the types first debuted.

Quote:
the flankers can do the Pugachev cobra. pointing the nose up 90 degrees.

While visually stunning, the Cobra has no combat applications whatsoever. The Russians only looked at combat applications after reading about the speculation in Western publications. They concluded there are none.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: