Kemco Games Forum Index Kemco Games
Kemco Games Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carriers Vs Stratotankers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROBERT

PostPosted: Nov Tue 22, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Carriers Vs Stratotankers Reply with quote

What´s the best way to go on a sea/air battle?

I prefer strats because of the following:

a) They´re faster

b) Less vulnerable, specially to helos (wich the AI tends to send in hordes)

c) They can service 6 units at once

d) They´re far cheaper

e) "Repair" ability is quite useless, so you need an airport to replace units anyway.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Nov Tue 22, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to prefer Carriers for 2 reasons. The first is that while the repair ability is useless, they do rearm your fighters and refuel them. The Stratotankers only refuel and thus only serve as a gas station for units going to and from and not necessarily keeping the aircraft on station.

I like having most of my fighters (F/A-18s and F-35Cs) engage with AIM-120 "Slammers" and many times they never get a scratch before they need to rearm. With a Carrier on station, the downtime is much shorter and so I can usually keep them closer to the front which might make or break an assault. The Carrier is almost always in a small battlegroup of OHP Class Destroyers (The cheapest US combat naval unit) as AA screens so I tend not to have much of a problem there.

On the other hand, if I'm taking heavy air casualties, a Stratotanker is the way to go, usually. This allows fighters to go "full burn" to get on station, then they can refuel and go on their combat patrols. If they get too banged up, they can "full burn" back to base on a near full tank and not risk crashing or being destroyed. The problem with Stratotankers is that the AI loves to attack them and so I need to keep extra fighters on hand just to keep the tanker safe.

Overall, I think it's a matter of preference and strategic value. I tend to use more naval units (namely when playing large blue water maps and when I go USMC only) so I like having a Carrier on hand to support my landings. On the other hand, when I'm strapped for cash or I can't have many air units to fill a Carrier quickly (from lack of production capable airports), the Stratotanker is my method of choice.

Lastly, I also use lots of VTOL units. The Harrier and F-35s only really need to keep their smaller fuel tanks full and can rearm and replenish on cities and supply trucks. In this case, neither a tanker nor a Carrier is really necessary (unless I have an Assault Carrier aka the Wasp Class for Amphibious Ops) and I will ditch those unit slots for extra VTOL Aircraft and ground support (tankers)

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DanielRuoss

PostPosted: Nov Wed 23, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that if an air unit is flying directly above an airport and is refueled by a tanker it will also rearm without having to land. Just something I've noticed since I like to be air heavy whenever I can afford it.
SemperFi2382

PostPosted: Nov Wed 23, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielRuoss wrote:
I've noticed that if an air unit is flying directly above an airport and is refueled by a tanker it will also rearm without having to land. Just something I've noticed since I like to be air heavy whenever I can afford it.

Interesting, that must be some kind of glitch or whatnot. Though, not like it's a bad thing. Laughing

"The Object is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kemco Games Forum Index -> Dai Senryaku VII Modern Military Tactics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: